1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Information regarding Tennesse Path programs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by pcadvt, Mar 26, 2007.

1. pcadvt

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know how r Vanderbilt and UT Memphis programs?
    I want to apply for next yr.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Vanderbilt is a well known strong program... UT Memphis? no knowledge of.

4. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know anything about the path program at UT Memphis, but Memphis sucks as a place to live and the hospital is in a shady part of town. The one redeeming geature is that they have St. Jude Children's Hospital, which has some cool research opportunities. Peter Doherty (1996 Nobel for T cell immunity) has a lab there.

5. pcadvt

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well bec of relocation issues I cannot go elsewhere (other than Nashville/Memphis). Does job opportunities depend on where u do ur residency from?

6. Potomania

Potomania Polydipsia
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you can match into Vandy over Memphis, you'd be a fool not too. Nashville is a much better city than Memphis, the program at Vanderbilt has better training and reputation.... I would imagine you would have a much easier time finding a job coming out of Vanderbilt than UT-Memphis although I don't know specifically what kind of jobs/fellowships people at Memphis get. I have talked to path residents at other institutions that did med school at Memphis, and around the board they said that it is a lower tier program and they did not want to stay there for residency. It is true that St. Jude is a jewel in the middle of scum-infested Memphis, but I doubt UT path residents spend much time there. Vanderbilt is undergoing some transition now with a new chair and lots of new faculty, but this is a good thing and they are in the upswing of a big expansion right now. It is definitely a program on the rise. Vandy vs. UT-Memphis should be a no brainer unless you absolutely HAVE to live in Memphis.