1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Information regarding Tennesse Path programs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by pcadvt, Mar 26, 2007.

1. pcadvt

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know how r Vanderbilt and UT Memphis programs?
    I want to apply for next yr.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Vanderbilt is a well known strong program... UT Memphis? no knowledge of.

4. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know anything about the path program at UT Memphis, but Memphis sucks as a place to live and the hospital is in a shady part of town. The one redeeming geature is that they have St. Jude Children's Hospital, which has some cool research opportunities. Peter Doherty (1996 Nobel for T cell immunity) has a lab there.

5. pcadvt

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well bec of relocation issues I cannot go elsewhere (other than Nashville/Memphis). Does job opportunities depend on where u do ur residency from?

6. Potomania

Potomania Polydipsia
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you can match into Vandy over Memphis, you'd be a fool not too. Nashville is a much better city than Memphis, the program at Vanderbilt has better training and reputation.... I would imagine you would have a much easier time finding a job coming out of Vanderbilt than UT-Memphis although I don't know specifically what kind of jobs/fellowships people at Memphis get. I have talked to path residents at other institutions that did med school at Memphis, and around the board they said that it is a lower tier program and they did not want to stay there for residency. It is true that St. Jude is a jewel in the middle of scum-infested Memphis, but I doubt UT path residents spend much time there. Vanderbilt is undergoing some transition now with a new chair and lots of new faculty, but this is a good thing and they are in the upswing of a big expansion right now. It is definitely a program on the rise. Vandy vs. UT-Memphis should be a no brainer unless you absolutely HAVE to live in Memphis.