Information regarding Tennesse Path programs

Started by pcadvt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pcadvt

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how r Vanderbilt and UT Memphis programs?
I want to apply for next yr.
 
Does anyone know how r Vanderbilt and UT Memphis programs?
I want to apply for next yr.

Vanderbilt is a well known strong program... UT Memphis? no knowledge of.
 
Does anyone know how r Vanderbilt and UT Memphis programs?
I want to apply for next yr.

I don't know anything about the path program at UT Memphis, but Memphis sucks as a place to live and the hospital is in a shady part of town. The one redeeming geature is that they have St. Jude Children's Hospital, which has some cool research opportunities. Peter Doherty (1996 Nobel for T cell immunity) has a lab there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well bec of relocation issues I cannot go elsewhere (other than Nashville/Memphis). Does job opportunities depend on where u do ur residency from?
 
If you can match into Vandy over Memphis, you'd be a fool not too. Nashville is a much better city than Memphis, the program at Vanderbilt has better training and reputation.... I would imagine you would have a much easier time finding a job coming out of Vanderbilt than UT-Memphis although I don't know specifically what kind of jobs/fellowships people at Memphis get. I have talked to path residents at other institutions that did med school at Memphis, and around the board they said that it is a lower tier program and they did not want to stay there for residency. It is true that St. Jude is a jewel in the middle of scum-infested Memphis, but I doubt UT path residents spend much time there. Vanderbilt is undergoing some transition now with a new chair and lots of new faculty, but this is a good thing and they are in the upswing of a big expansion right now. It is definitely a program on the rise. Vandy vs. UT-Memphis should be a no brainer unless you absolutely HAVE to live in Memphis.