Information to Give Professor for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuculici1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

So I am in the process of getting a LOR from a professor, and the professor asked me to give her a "deadline, resume, and other useful statements about your life, etc.". Obviously the deadline and resume are straightforward, but "useful statements about your life" is kind of a nebulous term. Any ideas what information to include for that? I recently started a list but kind of feel like it is just a bunch of random information that the professor will have to compile in a letter of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys-

So I am in the process of getting a LOR from a professor, and the professor asked me to give her a "deadline, resume, and other useful statements about your life, etc.". Obviously the deadline and resume are straightforward, but "useful statements about your life" is kind of a nebulous term. Any ideas what information to include for that? I recently started a list but kind of feel like it is just a bunch of random information that the professor will have to compile in a letter of recommendation.
Include a transcript and a draft of your Personal Statement.

Basically talk about things that might make you stand out as an individual (hobbies, music, experiences). I would also throw in why you want to be a doctor as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal statement for "useful statements."

Last edited:
I would imagine it's stuff that the professor may try to include in the letter of recommendation.

Resume/CV, transcript, personal statement, MCAT score/percentile are standard.

Include a reminder that the letter should be signed and on letterhead. Some schools won't take them otherwise.

Resume/CV, transcript, personal statement, MCAT score/percentile are standard.

I just gave them my resume and an outline of my personal statement because I hadn't gotten my MCAT scores back at that point. To be honest, a resume would be fine if the professor knows you reasonably well.