InGenius Prep AMA May 31st-June 2nd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The folks at InGenius Prep are going to be running an AMA here in this thread from May 31th-June 2nd. Feel free to post your questions below (presumably questions related to admissions) and they will be happy to answer them. They have former admissions officers on staff to provide these answers.

Have fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I'm a non-trad applicant military vet and I returned to school as a post-bac right when the pandemic started. This didn't help with getting clinical hours and was just able to get involved more recently. I am wondering is having about 250 total going to be viewed as low? I still have to work and have had to be very judicious with how I use my time and have been focused on clinical experiences that I can speak to and are meaningful for me. Is this the right approach or should I be looking to gain more hours? Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm a non-trad applicant military vet and I returned to school as a post-bac right when the pandemic started. This didn't help with getting clinical hours and was just able to get involved more recently. I am wondering is having about 250 total going to be viewed as low? I still have to work and have had to be very judicious with how I use my time and have been focused on clinical experiences that I can speak to and are meaningful for me. Is this the right approach or should I be looking to gain more hours? Thank you.
Good question! My impression is that medical schools are aware of the limitations on shadowing and clinical hours that a pre-med can get prior to applying to medical school. And in your case, you're returning to school years out. I think 250 is fine...but is this shadowing, hours as a scribe, or patient care tech? Medical schools do not always have strict definitions of "clinical hours necessary" but my personal go-to is the following: at least 50-80 hours of clinical shadowing, or more hours closely following a doctor as a scribe. If you have your shadowing hours already, but you are referring to time as a patient care tech or volunteer, I would say 250 hours is fine. As long as you have shown that you are comfortable in a clinical setting and can learn from what you see around you, you should be good.

This question was answered by a Former Admission Committee Member from the University of Washington School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm wondering how much a relatively small GPA bump is worth. I'm not there yet, but based on projections if I take around 4 extra classes during my senior year, I can bump a potential cGPA of 3.87 to around 3.89-3.9. Is this worth my time? Or would it be better off spent on volunteering or other things? I don't have an MCAT or anything yet so I don't have much to justify it against.

We have a number of applicant questions concerned about how Casper or Preview is considered in applicant review. Can you all comment on how much importance is given to these exams?

Good question! My impression is that medical schools are aware of the limitations on shadowing and clinical hours that a pre-med can get prior to applying to medical school. And in your case, you're returning to school years out. I think 250 is fine...but is this shadowing, hours as a scribe, or patient care tech? Medical schools do not always have strict definitions of "clinical hours necessary" but my personal go-to is the following: at least 50-80 hours of clinical shadowing, or more hours closely following a doctor as a scribe. If you have your shadowing hours already, but you are referring to time as a patient care tech or volunteer, I would say 250 hours is fine. As long as you have shown that you are comfortable in a clinical setting and can learn from what you see around you, you should be good.

This question was answered by a Former Admission Committee Member from the University of Washington School of Medicine
I could have included that part! Hours are a mix between being a scribe at a free clinic and hospice patient care volunteering. Should I seek out shadowing as well, or is being directly engaged like I am already the right track? Thanks!

Long story short, I'm missing a Bio Lab credit and I already graduated last year. Planning on applying next year (TMDSAS) while I'm taking an MPH course. Didn't think I'd be in this situation but as far as I know I could make up the prerequisites as long as it's before I matriculate (could literally be the spring/summer before) so it technically shouldn't affect my admissions chances

So I would like to get a run down of my options, not really sure which is best. Would I be able to take a course at a community college? Do I have to apply/enroll or can I just take this one class? Or am I able to do a post-bacc or something at a university for one summer semester? Would my MPH program get in the way of this at all?

Hi! I'm wondering how much a relatively small GPA bump is worth. I'm not there yet, but based on projections if I take around 4 extra classes during my senior year, I can bump a potential cGPA of 3.87 to around 3.89-3.9. Is this worth my time? Or would it be better off spent on volunteering or other things? I don't have an MCAT or anything yet so I don't have much to justify it against.
Great question! The most important factor affecting your application is your grade point average. Medical schools want to be sure that the people they admit can cope with the rigorous academic demands, and because there are so many applicants, they can choose only those with the strongest records. The GPAs that are important in applying to medical school are your AMCAS Total GPA and BCPM GPA . The national average AMCAS GPA in 2020 for matriculating students was 3.73. A slight increase in GPA can be helpful since medical schools can use the overall GPA as part of a quantitative review.

This question was answered by a Former Admissions Officer from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

We have a number of applicant questions concerned about how Casper or Preview is considered in applicant review. Can you all comment on how much importance is given to these exams?
Not all medical schools require Casper, though the number of schools that do are increasing. Unfortunately, there is little information regarding how heavily medical schools weigh Casper or what role it plays in the application process. Contacting those medical schools (admissions counselors) who use Casper may be your best sources for that information.

This question was answered by a Former Admissions Officer from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

Do failed classes factor in "year in school" designation for students with interruptions in attendance?
Could you add some more specific details or an example to your questions so that we can better answer it? Thank you!

How would you handle requests from prospective or current applicants to visit schools on days that are not designated as visit days?

Medical School Admissions Offices' set aside days and times when they can best accommodate and provide information to visitors, i.e. open houses, visit days etcetera. But occasionally there is an opportunity to grant a special visit request.

I could have included that part! Hours are a mix between being a scribe at a free clinic and hospice patient care volunteering. Should I seek out shadowing as well, or is being directly engaged like I am already the right track? Thanks!
I believe you are definitely on the right track. But, if a shadowing opportunity presents itself and you have the availability, it would be worth considering.

Long story short, I'm missing a Bio Lab credit and I already graduated last year. Planning on applying next year (TMDSAS) while I'm taking an MPH course. Didn't think I'd be in this situation but as far as I know I could make up the prerequisites as long as it's before I matriculate (could literally be the spring/summer before) so it technically shouldn't affect my admissions chances

So I would like to get a run down of my options, not really sure which is best. Would I be able to take a course at a community college? Do I have to apply/enroll or can I just take this one class? Or am I able to do a post-bacc or something at a university for one summer semester? Would my MPH program get in the way of this at all?
Completing the Bio Lab credit requirement should not be very difficult. Most community colleges would allow you to enroll in this one class as a non-degree student. If you felt you wanted or needed to take a post-bacc semester, your choice; I don't see how it would get in the way of your MPH.