Inheriting patients on two antipsychotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working with an SMI population at CMHC and some have been stable on two antipsychotics from the previous provider. I have experimented tapering them to one in the past but a couple patients have destabilized as a result. I used to always taper to one no matter what but am I now becoming more lenient in my policy.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How quick did you taper? It can be hard to distinguish discontinuation syndromes from symptom recurrence.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was one of the antipsychotics always clozapine? I think everyone is owed at least one trial of clozapine if they are to this point long term.

I saw Risperdal LAI and Seroquel for borderline symptoms. The others were legitimate with combining SGAs for schizophrenia, low dosages and doing well.

Adding more medications adds more risk. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Is prescribing multiple antipsychotics the least risky method to obtain these benefits? In the case of a bad outcome from this off-label use of antipsychotics, would it be more likely to lead to a lawsuit than the same poor outcome using the medication for treatment resistant psychosis that is recommended by most consensus guidelines?

Despite the guidelines suggesting limiting of dual antipsychotic usage, the data doesn't clearly show a serious increase in risk. It doesn't show benefit, either. So I would rarely consider initiating dual antipsychotic therapy. If I were inheriting a patient with good clinical response and absence of clear harm, though, I would not be quick to change the treatment. If it wasn't working, causing problems, or any antipsychotic therapy wasn't clearly indicated, this would be a different calculus.

Reactions: 1 user