Injured thumb - looking for expert advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

Lucky dumb med student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might not be the right place to post this but I'm just looking for some opinions/advice from you orthopaedic surgeons out there.

I injured my thumb playing basketball the other day by hitting into someone and bending it backwards, and it's hurting pretty bad. I went to my local urgent care clinic, they did an x-ray and the good news is there were no broken bones or dislocations.

The PA who saw me said that however there is definitly soft tissue injury, including torn muscle and ligaments, which I expected. The problem that concerns me is that right now I can't use my thumb for anything at all, it's like I have no strength whatsoever using my thumb, I can't even squeeze toothpaste that's how weak it is, I can move it with limited range of motion but that's about it. My question is, will I ever recover and be able to use it to perform daily activities? Or am I going to need corrective sugery to even have a shot at returning to normal? The reason I ask is that from what I understand, torn ligaments do not heal.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.