Innovative medical school curriculums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edrn867

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there list (or just knows the information) about schools that have significantly different medical school curriculums. I was thinking along the lines of Duke's curriculum where you start clinical clerkships 2nd year and then 3rd year you have to do a scholarly project. Are there any other schools that start clerkships early (have condensed class time) or any other sort of drastic difference? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Vermont has an integrated curriculum called VIC, in which the basic science is taught in 1.5 years rather than 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there list (or just knows the information) about schools that have significantly different medical school curriculums. I was thinking along the lines of Duke's curriculum where you start clinical clerkships 2nd year and then 3rd year you have to do a scholarly project. Are there any other schools that start clerkships early (have condensed class time) or any other sort of drastic difference? Thanks.

Columbia and Penn both have 1.5 years of pre-clinical coursework. Followed by ~1 year of required rotations, then 1.5 years remaining split between vacation time, electives, sub-internships, and a 6 month research project. NYU is starting a similar system as well...although it was unclear whether it would be in place next year.

Most students at Stanford have less required months for rotations...and most take a 5th year to either do research or obtain another degree. Yale has a required thesis. The HST program at Harvard is completely different than those at most medical schools as well.

Drexel has a massively PBL curriculum option that you can choose. It's called PIL.

To add on to Baylor, Penn, and Columbia - Emory and UVa also have 1.5 years of pre-clinicals. After you finish the basic sciences at Emory, you do a year of required rotations, have 5-6 months off for a research project, and then your last year of selectives / electives. At UVa, you do a year of required rotations and then can choose selectives / electives (including research, travel, etc).

Last edited:
And don't forget Wash U! oh wait... their's is as straightforward as you can get.

...however, they do arguably the best job at doing just that.

And don't forget Wash U! oh wait... their's is as straightforward as you can get.

...however, they do arguably the best job at doing just that.
Their first year i believe is very basic science, then second year is more clinically based.

The Tufts Maine Track doesn't do the normal clerkships during third year. I don't know the specifics (it's a new program), but from what I've heard, they assign students to a certain number of patients (like 100) and have the students follow those patients whenever they come into the hospital. They try to choose patients from a variety of disciplines.

By the way, what do you guys think about this approach? It seems so different to me.

Mayo's selective system in the first 2 years:
6 weeks of class
then off for 2 weeks of elective time (clinical, research, travel)

UVa is going to an almost completely PBL-style curriculum. As mentioned, OSU has an independent study program after anatomy. CCLCM has one year of research, for 5 years total. It's not huge, but UCLA does prosections instead of disections (here's an interesting article on that.)

As a caveat to this, most Baylor students begin their clinicals right after finishing basic science and get 1 or 2 rotations in before they take Step 1.

The students' performance speaks volumes of how beneficial this is.

That's interesting and pretty cool, as long as you get some time off to study for the Step.

Status
Not open for further replies.