Inorganic Chemistry Prerequisite Question

Started by roseapple
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

roseapple

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all.

So I took an expedited inorganic chemistry class. It was a 4 credit class that covered a full year's worth of material. Frustratingly, I still have to take another 4 credits worth of inorganic chemistry.

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?

By the end of this semester, I will have 8 credits of inorganic chemistry, but only half of those credits will have been accompanied with a lab.

Thanks very much--
 
Great answer, thank you Gonnif. That "prematriculation phase" makes everything make sense.

Goodluck--
 
When you say "Inorganic Chemistry" are you specifically referring to upper-division chemistry courses on like metals and ligands and stuff? Or do you mean something more along the lines of General Chemistry?

If a school's requirements say "Inorganic Chemistry" and say nothing about "General Chemistry", then I'm inclined to believe that they mean gen-chem when they say inorganic chem. I don't know of any schools who have an actual inorganic chemistry requirement.

I ask because I believe that the only "upper division Inorganic Chemistry" classes that are lectures without labs are the real, hardcore inorganic chemistry courses.
 
I presumed Gen Chem. You know, just go take a second term Gen Chem at a local CC with lab and you got what you need

Right, I presumed the same, but I re-read OPs post, especially this line:

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?

Which, to me, sounds like a course progression in real inorganic chemistry rather than General Chemistry. But things vary a lot between colleges I suppose, so I'm sure there are actual General Chemistry courses somewhere in the country which don't have associated labs. :shrug: