May 14, 2015
Hi all.

So I took an expedited inorganic chemistry class. It was a 4 credit class that covered a full year's worth of material. Frustratingly, I still have to take another 4 credits worth of inorganic chemistry.

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?

By the end of this semester, I will have 8 credits of inorganic chemistry, but only half of those credits will have been accompanied with a lab.

Thanks very much--

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
It is going to depend on each school's requirements, its strictness in adhering to those requirements, and the flexibility in waiving or appealing them. Unfortunately, the last 2 of those factors are not absolutely determined until after you have an offer of acceptance from a school and the prerequisites are checked during the pre-matriculation phase.

I would suggest that you get an additional lab in something, perhaps Biochem or Pchem so you have something substantial if it comes down to needing a waiver. Else, you pick up a 1 credit freshman chem lab during a summer from a local CC or similar.

OP
R
May 14, 2015
Great answer, thank you Gonnif. That "prematriculation phase" makes everything make sense.

Goodluck--

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
When you say "Inorganic Chemistry" are you specifically referring to upper-division chemistry courses on like metals and ligands and stuff? Or do you mean something more along the lines of General Chemistry?

If a school's requirements say "Inorganic Chemistry" and say nothing about "General Chemistry", then I'm inclined to believe that they mean gen-chem when they say inorganic chem. I don't know of any schools who have an actual inorganic chemistry requirement.

I ask because I believe that the only "upper division Inorganic Chemistry" classes that are lectures without labs are the real, hardcore inorganic chemistry courses.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
When you say "Inorganic Chemistry" are you specifically referring to upper-division chemistry courses on like metals and ligands and stuff? Or do you mean something more along the lines of General Chemistry?

If a school's requirements say "Inorganic Chemistry" and say nothing about "General Chemistry", then I'm inclined to believe that they mean gen-chem when they say inorganic chem. I don't know of any schools who have an actual inorganic chemistry requirement.

I ask because I believe that the only "upper division Inorganic Chemistry" classes that are lectures without labs are the real, hardcore inorganic chemistry courses.
I presumed Gen Chem. You know, just go take a second term Gen Chem at a local CC with lab and you got what you need

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I presumed Gen Chem. You know, just go take a second term Gen Chem at a local CC with lab and you got what you need
Right, I presumed the same, but I re-read OPs post, especially this line:

My question: none of the higher level inorganic chem classes offered have a Lab. Is that going to be a problem? Or is it good enough that I took the lab portion of the expedited intro-inorganic class?
Which, to me, sounds like a course progression in real inorganic chemistry rather than General Chemistry. But things vary a lot between colleges I suppose, so I'm sure there are actual General Chemistry courses somewhere in the country which don't have associated labs. :shrug: