Inorganic Chemistry Required for HMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemicallycomical

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if a course dedicated to Inorganic Chemistry is required to apply to Harvard Med School. The website says "Two years of chemistry (four courses) including inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry are required." but I'm not sure if it could include Gen Chem as inorganic chemistry. I have taken
2 semesters of Gen Chem, 2 semesters of Honors Organic Chemistry, and 1 semester of Biochem. Will that satisfy the requirement? Appreciate any help! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, Gen Chem = Inorganic Chem, at least for the purpose of course requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, you don't need a standalone inorganic class.

General chemistry is (mostly) an "inorganic" course with some physical + analytical mixed in. The requirement from HMS gives flexibility for all the different ways schools do things.

Some colleges start with organic chemistry as the first college level course: so a student at those schools would do 2 semester of OChem, then an Inorganic course, then maybe Biochemistry for the 4th course.

On the other hand, a student in a school with a typical 2-semester general chemistry, 2-semester organic chemistry course could use that series, or could replace the second semester of OChem with Biochem.

And the places that do a single semester of general chemistry fit with gen chem + OChem 1/2 + Biochem.

First year/basic chemistry can be titled General chemistry, Introductory chemistry, Freshman chemistry, Inorganic chemistry,
Analytic chemistry.

Confusion can come about as some UG schools will have advanced courses for chem majors that may be titled Inorganic and/or analytical.

Reactions: 1 users