Inorganic for Duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenv1082

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just emailed the Duke Admissions Office about their 1 year requirement of Inorganic for admissions,
but the response back was not helpful. Anybody know if that's strictly enforced? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean general chemistry?

a lot of schools regard the year of general chemistry as inorganic, since it deals mainly with all the elements and non-specific general theories rather than the carbon based organic. The inorganic sequence you are probably thinking of should be a 3000 (junior) level course and should only be one semester, followed up by advanced inorganic as a senior (4000 level). These last two courses mentioned are only neccessary for chemistry majors (like me).

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at their site and they only want two semesters of introductory chemistry. They are rather strict with these requirements. They also requires a year of calc which is a little rare.

inroganic refers only to gen chem in the framework of med school requirements.

If it's any consolation, I got in to Duke with Calculus AP credits, so there's a bit of leeway there. And the Inorganic requirement just means General Chemistry.