Inpatient & Outpatient Settings

Started by amlope03
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amlope03

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an inpatient setting in "nursing home/skilled nursing facility/extended care facility" and "rehabilitation/sub-acute rehabilitation." (80 hours)
I also have three different outpatient settings in "other outpatient facility." (210-894 hours)

I know "acute care hospital" is a highly recommended setting, but unfortunately I will not be able to observe one until this fall. I'm still going to try and observe one, regardless if I can add it to my application right now, because I want to be able to at least mention that I have observed in one by the time I interview.

So my question is: am I still competitive to apply with these types of observation hours as of right now? (I have the minimum of one inpatient and one outpatient setting that majority of schools require).
 
You have an above average variety and amount of hours and you're absolutely competitive to apply from that standpoint. Inpatient hospital does look good but, with a few exceptions, it's not a huge deal. Some schools explicitly ask for acute inpatient hospital experience, just watch out for those.
 
You have an above average variety and amount of hours and you're absolutely competitive to apply from that standpoint. Inpatient hospital does look good but, with a few exceptions, it's not a huge deal. Some schools explicitly ask for acute inpatient hospital experience, just watch out for those.

Yeah, two of the schools I'm applying to "highly recommend" acute care setting, but I'm hesitant to completely cut them from my list. There is a possibility that I could still get in, but I'm not completely sure on how competitive I'd be for those schools. Any thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, two of the schools I'm applying to "highly recommend" acute care setting, but I'm hesitant to completely cut them from my list. There is a possibility that I could still get in, but I'm not completely sure on how competitive I'd be for those schools. Any thoughts?

It's hard to say, but I can tell you one of the public schools I applied to in California "strongly recommended" a certain statistics class (I didn't have it) and gave admissions points for up to 400 hours (I had about 120). I got in anyway and while my other stats were good they weren't stellar.

Keep in mind there are tons of schools where GPA/GRE just trumps and marginalizes everything else, so it really depends where on that spectrum your school is.
 
Truthfully, I don't think schools are all that picky. I had done no inpatient/acute care and got accepted to schools that supposedly "required" it. Only one school asked about the hours, but they still ended up inviting me for an interview.
 
Truthfully, I don't think schools are all that picky. I had done no inpatient/acute care and got accepted to schools that supposedly "required" it. Only one school asked about the hours, but they still ended up inviting me for an interview.
How many hours did you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile