Inpatient pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookiecatfromouterspace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I see a lot of posts about retail and salaries. But I was wondering if anyone knows what a competitive hospital staff pharmacist wage would be? I accepted an offer in the southeast for an overnight position. 7 on and 7 off starting @ $54/hr with all the differential for working overnight it comes out to ~$60 hour. I’m pretty excited about it! I tried to get more (I did a year of residency) but the recruiter insisted they had taken that into consideration when making the offer and since I needed the job I took it after one of my co-residents shared with me that they got a similar offer at a nearby hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea dude - looks good.. I would want at least 55/hr but I would take 54... Congrats.

I would take it. When I was hired at my hospital 7 years ago, the starting pay was $44/hour if you had no experience... But they increased it since then, now they start new grads with no experience at $49

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP that's really good! My pay including the differential was 46/hr (without a residency)

Hello everyone! I see a lot of posts about retail and salaries. But I was wondering if anyone knows what a competitive hospital staff pharmacist wage would be? I accepted an offer in the southeast for an overnight position. 7 on and 7 off starting @ $54/hr with all the differential for working overnight it comes out to ~$60 hour. I’m pretty excited about it! I tried to get more (I did a year of residency) but the recruiter insisted they had taken that into consideration when making the offer and since I needed the job I took it after one of my co-residents shared with me that they got a similar offer at a nearby hospital.
I graduated in 2018 and did not complete a residency. I accepted a PRN inpatient staffing position for $50/hr shortly after graduating. Recently, I’ve transitioned into a full-time position at ~$54/hr with a different hospital.
If you stay with your same institution for a full year, it’s likely that your hourly number will go up as well. Based on my own research, starting salaries in hospitals are typically around $55/hr unless you have more years of experience or are going into a very specialized position (i.e. non-staffing or manager/supervisor).

I graduated in 2018 and did not complete a residency. I accepted a PRN inpatient staffing position for $50/hr shortly after graduating. Recently, I’ve transitioned into a full-time position at ~$54/hr with a different hospital.
If you stay with your same institution for a full year, it’s likely that your hourly number will go up as well. Based on my own research, starting salaries in hospitals are typically around $55/hr unless you have more years of experience or are going into a very specialized position (i.e. non-staffing or manager/supervisor).

Are you in a big city? I am trying to get an inpatient and I am working on the outpatient side. I cannot get in

Are you in a big city? I am trying to get an inpatient and I am working on the outpatient side. I cannot get in
I think getting a Job at a Hospital in or near a big city is pretty hard. I went to a good pharmacy school, had plenty of inpatient rotations as a student, did a residency and was still not getting interview offers from Hospitals in bigger cities. I think the best way to get your feet in the door is to apply to per diem/prn positions in a Hospital while continuing your main job if you are able to. Then if a full time position opens up then you could apply for a full time position. Some hospitals are good at hiring within but others are not. Lmk if you have any questions

The PRN position was with a large hospital in one of the Top-5 largest cities in the US. The new full-time position is with a large hospital in a mid-size (Top-50 population) city.
Apply for as many PRN positions as you can. Those are the best ways to get a foot in the door beyond direct connections at a hospital.

I think getting a Job at a Hospital in or near a big city is pretty hard. I went to a good pharmacy school, had plenty of inpatient rotations as a student, did a residency and was still not getting interview offers from Hospitals in bigger cities. I think the best way to get your feet in the door is to apply to per diem/prn positions in a Hospital while continuing your main job if you are able to. Then if a full time position opens up then you could apply for a full time position. Some hospitals are good at hiring within but others are not. Lmk if you have any questions
Just curious. Do they ever ask applicants with residency experience why they don't look for clinical jobs instead of staff?

Just curious - is this code for “I work retail”?

I should have used that line when I worked retail pharmacy - “im an outpatient clinical pharmacist”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I should have used that line when I worked retail pharmacy - “im an outpatient clinical pharmacist”

I’m using that line for sure.

• Haha
I’m using that line for sure.

I work retail, its like CVS. Our system calls it outpatient pharmacy specifically since it’s affiliated with a hospital system to differentiate between inpatient and outpatient. There is no “clinical work” to it.

Call it outpatient or ambulatory, community or retail... same thing.

Where do you work now?

that is pretty decent - I work a similiar position on the clinical side at my hospital also in the southeast and my base is $65 ($72 when you count shift dif) plus I work 70 get paid for 80 - I hope your place still does that - that perky is slowly disappearing. But I have 15 years experience. Your pay is higher than what we would offer someone with no experience.

• Wow
Just curious. Do they ever ask applicants with residency experience why they don't look for clinical jobs instead of staff?
yes - anytime it appears you are applying for a position that is "lower" than what your resume makes you look like you would want - you will be asked. I would definitely ask because I want to make sure you are not just using us to get a job and then leave when something better comes along. Anyone can lie thou, but some are more convincing than others.

I was asked why I was applying for a clinical staff position when I was a clinical manager.

I was asked why I was applying for a clinical staff position when I was a clinical manager.

How did you answer?

I feel like moving backwards (downwards?) is common in pharmacy. In fact now that I think about it 3 out of 5 staff pharmacists at my current job used to be PICs. Our last 3 staff pharmacists are the same. I think some of our PRNs are the same.

Job title: Outpatient clinical pharmacist
Company: CVS

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see through that fluff on a resume lol

Yeah I got asked that question like twice lol. In my case I was honest and said I liked the prospect of having a 7 on and 7 off position where I could travel during my time off or plan a long vacation with PTO. I really couldn’t do that with a clinical job. I think when answering this question it’s important to make sure that the Company/Job you are applying to is part of your future. I also said that I would be interested in another position within the company wether it be clinical or not if it arises during the future.