This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S_mitchh

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are my fellow 3rd shift pharmacists at? I work in a teaching hospital that is a level 1 trauma center that has 500+ beds. We also cover our psych hospital that isn't on campus but will be come this fall. We only have 2 pharmacists on duty at night and 3 techs. We (pharmacists) work seven 10-hour shifts (either 2100-0700 or 2200-0800), then have 7 days off. I feel like 3rd shift I learn the most on, as I've worked all shifts in this hospital. We also do not have an ER pharmacist at night, nor any clinical pharmacists.
Night Shift GIF by Lion Arts Factory

How do you guys that work 3rd shift like it?
What do you do on your days off?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Third Shift @larg ish Regional Medical Center - Busy Level II trauma ER, Staff 3 Pharmacist 2 techs - 7on/7off work 70hrs, get paid for 80. Make about $169K with shift-diff etc. Love working nights, stay busy and do all the clinical duties for NICU all the way to ICU and Hem/Onc. The best part - NO MANAGEMENT around. Days off, with family and working a second job.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I love the work on night shift, but it isn't a long term gig for me. I work clinical, cover the entire 450 bed hospital clinical servivces, staff in the ED, code response housewide. Cover everything from NICU to Neuro ICU to Cardiac to IM. Make $175k - 7 on 7 off.
But the lifestyle is catching up with me. Love to travel, so the schedule works, but now I get 8 weeks PDO and kiddo is in school, I can't just leave whenever I want. Plus every 4th weekend (day shift) is better than every other weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the work on night shift, but it isn't a long term gig for me. I work clinical, cover the entire 450 bed hospital clinical servivces, staff in the ED, code response housewide. Cover everything from NICU to Neuro ICU to Cardiac to IM. Make $175k - 7 on 7 off.
But the lifestyle is catching up with me. Love to travel, so the schedule works, but now I get 8 weeks PDO and kiddo is in school, I can't just leave whenever I want. Plus every 4th weekend (day shift) is better than every other weekend.
wow that pay is outstanding. I was offered and overnight hospital 7 on 7 off recently but pay was closer to 140k. have been working overnight retail for 14 years now and can earn 170-180 but thats by working 12 h shifts 7 on 7 off. Have 4 young kids now and it is tough but having a wife who stays at home is what allows me to continue the overnights. I do think it will become more difficult when they become involved in after school sports and activities. Those will be hard to miss

currently looking to transition to hospital overnight shifts after just under a decade of doing overnights retail
I just enjoy the greater degree of autonomy and am naturally extremely introverted

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
wow that pay is outstanding. I was offered and overnight hospital 7 on 7 off recently but pay was closer to 140k. have been working overnight retail for 14 years now and can earn 170-180 but thats by working 12 h shifts 7 on 7 off. Have 4 young kids now and it is tough but having a wife who stays at home is what allows me to continue the overnights. I do think it will become more difficult when they become involved in after school sports and activities. Those will be hard to miss
well- after 15 years and getting max raises each year - but it is all region dependent as well.

currently looking to transition to hospital overnight shifts after just under a decade of doing overnights retail
I just enjoy the greater degree of autonomy and am naturally extremely introverted
Me TOO! I am also super extremely introverted. I pretty much do everything solo, as well as traveling, going to disney world, universal studios, etc. I just work and spend time alone. I work 7 on 7 off graveyard Wed-Tues every other week.

Reactions: 4 users
Me TOO! I am also super extremely introverted. I pretty much do everything solo, as well as traveling, going to disney world, universal studios, etc. I just work and spend time alone. I work 7 on 7 off graveyard Wed-Tues every other week.
Yeah, I Love doing things solo if possible for the sake of learning new skills and satisfaction (home DIY projects, auto maintenance, etc.). Traveling alone can be tough but gives one those Vibes of adventure, discovery (always feels exciting traveling to said place, but a let down traveling back)

• Love
Yeah, I Love doing things solo if possible for the sake of learning new skills and satisfaction (home DIY projects, auto maintenance, etc.). Traveling alone can be tough but gives one those Vibes of adventure, discovery (always feels exciting traveling to said place, but a let down traveling back)
My main reason for nightshift has been chasing 7on-7off shifts. They are becoming rare, and mostly relegated to overnights now. 7on-7off is the reason I switched to hospital work (from home infusion and clinical oncology). My first 7-on-7off was at Children's Hospital, very intense, over 200 beds w/60 ICU beds between CICU, NICU, PICU and step-down. Had to respond to every Code Blue, while being the only pharmacist for over 10 hours. This was back in late 90's. 7 on started on a Monday, by Friday you hit OVERTIME for the next 20-24hrs. Money was very good! Then the hospitals got wise, started our weeks on Wednesday. Now the State of Georgia has passed legislation where the hospitals are exempt from paying any overtime to physicians, pharmacist, and RNs. NO OVERTIME!!!!!
Still love the concept of 7 days off (26 weeks off per year).

Outside of work, I am somewhat social (semi-social) been married for 37 years. My wife makes me socialize. I love vacations w/family and cruises. I also like alone time, DIY projects and working on the cars. Love power tools and air tools. I will attempt any DIY project no matter how difficult, but know when to turn it over to a professional.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Now the State of Georgia has passed legislation where the hospitals are exempt from paying any overtime to physicians, pharmacist, and RNs. NO OVERTIME!!!!!
Still love the concept of 7 days off (26 weeks off per year).

There's still a few hospitals in Georgia that pay 150% for overtime and have 7on7off schedules.

There's still a few hospitals in Georgia that pay 150% for overtime and have 7on7off schedules.
You are correct, sir! The cheapest, most badly managed Hospital System, WellStar, actually lobbied the legislature to pass this exemption.
Many large hospital systems do honor overtime @1.5X. Including where I practice now.

You are correct, sir! The cheapest, most badly managed Hospital System, WellStar, actually lobbied the legislature to pass this exemption.
Many large hospital systems do honor overtime @1.5X. Including where I practice now.
I get 1.5 times for OT where I am at too! I love it when it is OT plus holiday pay plus holiday OT LOL

• Love
I wish I got overtime! Since I work 7 on, 7 off, 10 hour shifts, I would have to work 80 hours before any of the hours are considered OT.
Well my friend, just another ploy to separate you from your hard earned wages!
At my hospital, maybe a little better, you work 70, get paid for 80, there is a 10 hr pay that is added to each paycheck. Any extra hours are payrate X 1.5.
Even when I was training days, trained days Mon-Fri X 5 weeks (yea, they figured I needed lots of help), there was the extra 10 hrs tacked on to the 80hrs

Well my friend, just another ploy to separate you from your hard earned wages!
At my hospital, maybe a little better, you work 70, get paid for 80, there is a 10 hr pay that is added to each paycheck. Any extra hours are payrate X 1.5.
Even when I was training days, trained days Mon-Fri X 5 weeks (yea, they figured I needed lots of help), there was the extra 10 hrs tacked on to the 80hrs
I'm jealous! They just give us a $6.50 hourly differential to "equate" us to 80 hours. However, when we take a vacation, we do not get that differential.

curious as to how many overnight rphs don't get the work 70 get paid for 80? (or something along those lines)- a hospital near me got rid of it- and 4 of their 6 rph's quit.

curious as to how many overnight rphs don't get the work 70 get paid for 80? (or something along those lines)- a hospital near me got rid of it- and 4 of their 6 rph's quit.
we had that at wags up until about 8-9 years ago. then they changed it to a $2.50/hr differential. quite the cut

• Wow
I work 70 and only get paid for 70 but i get OT (time and a half) for anything over 80. we also have evening, night, and weekend differential and PTO. also holiday pay is time and a half.

I work 70 and only get paid for 70 but i get OT (time and a half) for anything over 80. we also have evening, night, and weekend differential and PTO. also holiday pay is time and a half.
This is how my hospital is as well, same with the OT after 80 hours. However, I believe we only get 1 differential, i.e. we wouldn't get the night and weekend differential. Just one or the other.