Inpatient pharmacy: Experience vs. Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VancTheTank

.
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After reading the "what if i don't do a residency?" thread, I'm wondering what the prevailing thoughts are regarding experience vs residency.

Specifically : What are the implications of not having a residency to the recently graduated (3-5 years) pharmacist with hospital experience in a staff clinical role?

I have my own opinions, curious what anyone else thinks/has experienced.
 
It depends on your region. In California, you can get a hospital position without a residency but it is very specific. If you had worked as an intern pharmacist for 2 years at a hospital then you may get an offer after you have graduated. However, if you had only worked in retail as an intern then it is very difficult.

Experience always matter of course but it depends on the position you are applying. If it is a regular staff position, then the pharmacist with 3-5 years of experience has the advantage. But if it is a very clinical position, then the pharmacist with the residency has the advantage. It also depends on the DOP and his/her view on residency. A lot of DOP view pharmacists with a residency as having more potential to grow and develop.
 
From what I am seeing, most of our larger hospitals want PharmDs with a residency for those clinical jobs. Although I do know of some PharmDs with prior hospital experience as an intern that have gotten to clinical positions within 2 yrs with those hospitals.

As far as staff positions go as these hospitals they prefer someone that has experience working in a hospital.


NOW, our more rural, smaller hospitals, I have seen folks fresh out of school walk into pure clinical related jobs doing stuff I dont think they have the knowledge to do personally. But, I imagine they are getting their learn on whilst working. Many of these folks did not have any hospital experience either. Nothing but retail...

Personally, I think a 2yr residency is greatly needed for those that are wanting to be the more pure clinical pharmacist. But, I think that working 3-5yrs as a dual staff/clinical pharmacist can get you there too.

So, right now, I would say experience matters a little more but I think residency is gaining ground and will be more important going forward.

But, we shall see!!
 
This depends on indivitual pharmacy directors. Some might prefer residency > experiences.