Inpatient Pharmacy Internships

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by pharmgrrl, Jun 5, 2008.

1. pharmgrrl

Pharmacist
    I'm just about to start my first year of pharmacy school. I'm looking for an internship and would like to work in an inpatient pharmacy, because that's where I think I'd like to work after I graduate.

I've applied to about a dozen different hospitals and have only had 2 offers of interview. They seem to want someone with experience, but isn't the point of an internship to GET experience? How does one go about getting an inpatient pharmacy internship if they haven't already been a technician or have a friend on the hiring committee?

Is it possible to get in an inpatient pharmacy as a second year student? I.e., can I work at Walgreens or something the first year and then get in a hospital next year?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Be persistent and keep on calling them every now and then. Offer to shadow or volunteer first. If you can, try to talk to the director of pharmacy and not a staff pharmacist.

4. firefighter9015

firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour...

Pharmacy Student
    Network. A lot of times in inpatient pharmacies it is about who you know. Atleast that has been my experience.

5. huynguyen0727

Pharmacy Student
    try to applied for outpatient first then get to know the people so u can get the hook up. I've volunteer at a outpatient pharmacy so the pharmacist will hook me up with an intership when i finish my first year. i also know the director so that help a lot too, hahaha.