inpatient requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMedicine

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

What rotations count as inpatient rotations? I know you need 12 months of inpatient rehab, do rotations such as inpatient consults count?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

What rotations count as inpatient rotations? I know you need 12 months of inpatient rehab, do rotations such as inpatient consults count?

no consult counts as neither

inpatient rehab is just that - inpatient rehab. some residencies have different subspecialties like SCI, TBI, etc. I believe the ACGME requires you carry at least an average of 8 (or was it 6) patients for it to count as "full" inpatient - so some of the smaller programs have to double up on inpatient months for it to count as one.

no consult counts as neither

inpatient rehab is just that - inpatient rehab. some residencies have different subspecialties like SCI, TBI, etc. I believe the ACGME requires you carry at least an average of 8 (or was it 6) patients for it to count as "full" inpatient - so some of the smaller programs have to double up on inpatient months for it to count as one.

It is an average of 8 per month to count.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is an average of 8 per month to count.

No, that can't be right. Is it? 8 patients in the whole month, or do you mean an average of 8 patients per week over a month (meaning you could care for only 6 patients for 2 weeks, and then 10 the other two weeks, for an average of 8)???

No, that can't be right. Is it? 8 patients in the whole month, or do you mean an average of 8 patients per week over a month (meaning you could care for only 6 patients for 2 weeks, and then 10 the other two weeks, for an average of 8)???

It's an average census of 8 a month on your service to count as an inpatient. So scenario two was correct; 6 patients two weeks, 10 patients two weeks, average of 8 for the four weeks.