Input on awkward doctor/PI combo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dantezribaldi

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So this is interesting. I made contact with a dept. about research opportunities and they referred me to the same urologist I have an appointment scheduled about rather 'intimate' issues. And the two are related. Do I talk about this during the appointment? Or keep them completely separate. My intuition is the later but I just wanted an anonymous opinion.
 
So this is interesting. I made contact with a dept. about research opportunities and they referred me to the same urologist I have an appointment scheduled about rather 'intimate' issues. And the two are related. Do I talk about this during the appointment? Or keep them completely separate. My intuition is the later but I just wanted an anonymous opinion.
In the big picture your personal health comes first, so first keep your medical appointment and don't bring up the research at your appointment at all.

Listen to your gut feeling and don't make it awkward.

The need to have research on your resumé as a part of your medical school application is overemphasized in social media lore and the majority of matriculants do not have formal research experience or publications. The basic components of academic performance, community service, and healthcare related experience are more important.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well the part the makes it hard is that I just genuinely want to be involved in research on this topic and they may be a pivotal point of contact
 
Okay, so you are all saying the move is to keep doctors appointments just about my health / normal doctor appointment, and email only as a 'Hey I'm interested in this, can you direct me to relevant researchers...'? But what if this person is actually the best match for my research interests - is it worth changing doctors if it was hard to get this appointment / I need care from this person?
 
Last edited:
Okay, so you are all saying the move is to keep doctors appointments just about my health / normal doctor appointment, and email only as a 'Hey I'm interested in this, can you direct me to relevant researchers...'? But what if this person is actually the best match for my research interests - is it worth changing doctors if it was hard to get this appointment / I need care from this person?
Learn to be adaptable and use the next best suggestion for a researcher.
 
So this is interesting. I made contact with a dept. about research opportunities and they referred me to the same urologist I have an appointment scheduled about rather 'intimate' issues. And the two are related. Do I talk about this during the appointment? Or keep them completely separate. My intuition is the later but I just wanted an anonymous opinion.
This sounds like a potential "dual relationship" problem.

If I was your personal physician who was responsible for your medical care, you would not be one of my student-researchers at the same time.