input on azcom, comp, uhs, pcom...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kajon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anybody offer some input on or comparisons between azcom, comp, uhs, and pcom? -specifically on their curriculum, rotation opportunities, and board performance.
This is an impossible decision and any help would be great (right now i'm leaning towards azcom and comp).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can compare AZCOM and UHS for you, but I didn't apply to the other 2. My info will be skewed toward AZCOM because I pretty much hated UHS, but I will try and be objective :wink: I don't know how accurate my info would be because I wrote it all in columns and I've been known to copy stuff wrong.

AZCOM: You are given percentage grades (70% is passing), not pass fail or letter grades. The curriculum is a traditional style curriculum with basic biochem, anatomy, physiology, OMM/OMT, etc. in the first two years. If that is the info you wanted :wink: I think the 3rd and 4th year rotations are insanely skewed toward FP, which I know I don't want to do. But there seems to be adequate opportunity to do the rotations where you want and when you want. You're competing a little bit with U of AZ, but not a lot of them come up to Phoenix to do there rotations unless they're from there usually. I have heard complaints from some (not all) about the outpatient way in which a lot of the rotations are set up (vs. hospital based), but I think there are pluses to both. I think I heard so far they have 100% pass rate on the COMLEX. Not sure about USMLE. I can't find that info right now.

UHS: They are graded on a letter system (A,B,C, etc). The curriculum is organ based. There are more opportunities for electives here than at AZCOM because there are more elective weeks worked into the schedule (24 vs. 16 at AZCOM). I think they have a high COMLEX pass rate, but not 100%. They are starting to implement some study groups for those who want to take the USMLE, but it's still in the process of being worked out. My tour guide said that everyone in his class except for like 5 or 6 people got where they wanted to go for 3rd and 4th year rotations. There were like 60 slots for KC and 61 people requested it. Because I got such a bad vibe from the school, I didn't ask any more questions.

I hope this was the kind of info you were looking for. If not... sorry :)

I read somewhere and it drives me nuts that I don't remember where, but it said that AZCOM had a 98% board pass rate last year, compared to national average of about 86%. I might be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am not mistaken, that was for COMLEX 2. :cool: :cool: :cool:

One thing I really liked about AZCOM is they've had 100% pass rate for COMLEX 1 for the last 2 years. Not bad! No other DO school has the same stats.