Input on plan for applying this cycle. 29 y/o Navy veteran.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreadnought17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Heads up, this is long- I have the shortened version bolded below. I am hoping to get some input on whether I can still feasibly apply this cycle and input on if my current plan is bad. I am a 29 year old veteran (got out in late 2016) with roughly 3000 hours of clinical/ operating room experience (as a surgical tech) and 200 hours non-clinical volunteering (various student organizations and nursing home volunteering at my local VA). I graduated this year with a biomedical science degree (all med school prereqs from a CC), cumulative gpa 3.49, sgpa 3.73 (I have 16 credits of Fs from 9 years ago which I really regret). Fortunately I do have an upward trend as all 4 year and CC classes after leaving the Navy have been A’s. I am currently scheduled to take the mcat august 14th. I am a Michigan resident and I would really like to stay in Michigan or be in a school within 10 hours of west Michigan.

My first concern is that my MCAT score will be too low to be competitive (1st AAMC practice test was 508), as I have been reading quite a few accounts on the forums of people testing high but experiencing a test day drop of 5 to 10 points with the new shorter version of the test. My second concern is that I will not have my letters of recommendation in time to apply, as I have only heard from one of the four people who have offered to write me a letter of recommendation.

My current plan is to take another AAMC practice test next Thursday and base my decision on cancelling or rescheduling the exam off of whether I hit a minimum score of 514, with the hope that if I do have a 4 to 5 point drop it will be around a 510 and if it is a 10 point drop, it will be at least not below 500. If I fail to achieve the minimum on the practice exam, the plan would be to delay until next year and work as a tech/ volunteer while studying for the mcat. I do know that some schools are looking at students without the mcat and I have considered applying now without an mcat, but my girlfriend is of the opinion that without an mcat score I will get passed over due to my below average gpa.

Too long, didn’t read: 29 year old veteran, 3000hrs clinical work, 200hrs nonclinical volunteering, no clinical volunteering. 3.49cGPA and 3.73sGPA. Trying to decide if I can still apply this year as I am: 1.Not hearing back from 3 of the 4 letter writers and 2. Not hitting the minimum mcat on practice exams (aiming for at least 510 on the real thing). Actual mcat is august 14th, plan is to try to hit at least a 514 on the practice exam a week before the test. If I fail to do so, will delay application until next cycle and continue studying for the MCAT. If I succeed, plan on applying to all schools in Michigan and all schools in adjacent states that I have a chance on.

Does this plan sound reasonable? If not, what would you recommend I do instead? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.