Inputs and Advice on Murdoch University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qyle95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

A little bit of background about myself. I'm a Malaysian who has completed a pre-vet Biomedical Sciences undergrad degree at Colorado State University and is currently at the crossroads of whether to go to vet school (Murdoch specifically) in Australia. I applied to US vet schools last year and had a weak run due solely to lack of veterinary experience (started 2nd semester of sophomore yr and only got about 650 hrs up till junior yr when I applied). I kind of gave up after getting nothing that cycle. But post-graduation, my job has made me realize how much I want to get into vet medicine.

After jumping on a chance to apply through an agent back in September, I've just got my offer letter from Murdoch University for a BSc+DVM program with some transferred credits. My heart tells me to go, but I really need to make a calm decision. Does anyone here at SDN have any input about Murdoch University?

I have some very basic research about it and know they have an on-campus farm, adequate facilities, and good amounts of cases. But I haven't seen any recent info about Murdoch on SDN. I'd appreciate some input - especially on the crunched-down 2-year intensive DVM program. Also, I'm looking to get into research during my first 2 years, how hard is that at Murdoch? How feasible is it to come back to the US as an Australian DVM graduate?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So my information comes from me studying abroad there in undergrad (in 2008). I can tell you that I really enjoyed my time at Murdoch. Also, while it may seem like a condensed DVM program, when I was there at least it was actually a 5 year program, the first half being the basic science courses that resulted in a bachelor's degree and the second half being the more clinically-focused coursework that resulted in the DVM. Their program (like many international veterinary degrees) was intended to be started by people fresh out of high school, which is why it is set up that way.

Other than that, their campus is beautiful, they have on site student housing "Student Village" and I would go back there in a heartbeat. They also might be pretty expensive (like many international options), just to keep that in mind.

The rest of it I can't really help you with unfortunately, but honestly 650 hours does not seem like an unmanageable amount to get into US veterinary schools with. Might just have to figure out which schools fit your stats the best.

Hi guys/gals,

A little bit of background about myself. I'm a Malaysian who has completed a pre-vet Biomedical Sciences undergrad degree at Colorado State University and is currently at the crossroads of whether to go to vet school (Murdoch specifically) in Australia. I applied to US vet schools last year and had a weak run due solely to lack of veterinary experience (started 2nd semester of sophomore yr and only got about 650 hrs up till junior yr when I applied). I kind of gave up after getting nothing that cycle. But post-graduation, my job has made me realize how much I want to get into vet medicine.

After jumping on a chance to apply through an agent back in September, I've just got my offer letter from Murdoch University for a BSc+DVM program with some transferred credits. My heart tells me to go, but I really need to make a calm decision. Does anyone here at SDN have any input about Murdoch University?

I have some very basic research about it and know they have an on-campus farm, adequate facilities, and good amounts of cases. But I haven't seen any recent info about Murdoch on SDN. I'd appreciate some input - especially on the crunched-down 2-year intensive DVM program. Also, I'm looking to get into research during my first 2 years, how hard is that at Murdoch? How feasible is it to come back to the US as an Australian DVM graduate?

Thanks in advance!

Oh hi! I am also currently living in Malaysia though I am not a resident of this country. I also applied to Murdoch and university of Melbourne and am waiting for the results. May I ask you if you were offered the 4 year DVM program? I was worried that they may not take my college credits and put me in a 5 year program instead :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh hi! I am also currently living in Malaysia though I am not a resident of this country. I also applied to Murdoch and university of Melbourne and am waiting for the results. May I ask you if you were offered the 4 year DVM program? I was worried that they may not take my college credits and put me in a 5 year program instead :/

Hi!

As far as I know Murdoch only offers the 5 yr program. They put my undergrad courses into advanced standing, so "transferred credits" in our terms. I only have to study for 4 yrs there. I actually didn't apply to the rest of Australian vet schools as I missed the deadline, so I don't know if I should just go for Murdoch or defer it and apply to UMelb next cycle instead...

So my information comes from me studying abroad there in undergrad (in 2008). I can tell you that I really enjoyed my time at Murdoch. Also, while it may seem like a condensed DVM program, when I was there at least it was actually a 5 year program, the first half being the basic science courses that resulted in a bachelor's degree and the second half being the more clinically-focused coursework that resulted in the DVM. Their program (like many international veterinary degrees) was intended to be started by people fresh out of high school, which is why it is set up that way.

Other than that, their campus is beautiful, they have on site student housing "Student Village" and I would go back there in a heartbeat. They also might be pretty expensive (like many international options), just to keep that in mind.

The rest of it I can't really help you with unfortunately, but honestly 650 hours does not seem like an unmanageable amount to get into US veterinary schools with. Might just have to figure out which schools fit your stats the best.

Nice! Thanks for the input. When you were there, did you have any chance to check out their on-campus farm at all? Also do you know if they have many research opportunities? When I was an undergrad at CSU, almost everyone has worked in a lab; it'be nice if Murdoch that kind of environment. I see that you're currently almost finished with your DVM at UMinn, did you ever think about attending vet school in Australia at all? It feels like I'd be missing out on clinical rotations that they have here in the US.

Hi!

As far as I know Murdoch only offers the 5 yr program. They put my undergrad courses into advanced standing, so "transferred credits" in our terms. I only have to study for 4 yrs there. I actually didn't apply to the rest of Australian vet schools as I missed the deadline, so I don't know if I should just go for Murdoch or defer it and apply to UMelb next cycle instead...

Hey! are you currently doing OPT in the U.S.? FYI, UMELB deadline is not over yet. I believe that they close the application sometime in December. So you've still got time! I hope I can get into UMELB :)

Nice! Thanks for the input. When you were there, did you have any chance to check out their on-campus farm at all? Also do you know if they have many research opportunities? When I was an undergrad at CSU, almost everyone has worked in a lab; it'be nice if Murdoch that kind of environment. I see that you're currently almost finished with your DVM at UMinn, did you ever think about attending vet school in Australia at all? It feels like I'd be missing out on clinical rotations that they have here in the US.
I'm pretty sure I walked past it at some point but I definitely did not visit the farm while I was there. Not sure about the research environment either, since I was just a temporary international student we weren't really exposed to a lot of the opportunities the degree seeking/more permanent students were.

I definitely thought about attending vet school at Murdoch or in Australia! What turned me off for Murdoch was, at the time, they did not care if you had already completed an undergraduate degree, you still had to complete their entire 5 year program, and the tuition. 5 years at essentially out of state tuition prices combined with increased cost of living just made it really unfeasible for me. I looked into other programs as well in Melbourne and New Zealand but in the end the tuition differences turned me off of it. Sometimes I regret not going to a new exciting place but I think in the end I'll thank myself for making a more responsible financial decision.