Inputting activity hours in AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding how to input hours for my activities on AMCAS, for next cycle.

So for one of my activities I have to attend club meeting that last 2 hours every two weeks. However my actual activity/ community service event that I actually do for the club last about 10 hours on a saturday(7-5) and I only have the event every 3 weeks. So in one quarter I will have attended 3 of these 10 hours events and 5 club meetings that last 2 hours.

Another activity, I have been doing on and off during winter/ summer break times for around 2 years now and so how should I decide the hours per week breakdown amcas requests? I just don’t want to end up having weekly activities overall that are crazy / hard to believe.

Also, off topic.... how long should a typical activity last to make it actually seem relevant and not a application ladder?

Thanks

@Goro @Catalystik @gonnif @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding how to input hours for my activities on AMCAS, for next cycle.

1) So for one of my activities I have to attend club meeting that last 2 hours every two weeks. However my actual activity/ community service event that I actually do for the club last about 10 hours on a saturday(7-5) and I only have the event every 3 weeks. So in one quarter I will have attended 3 of these 10 hours events and 5 club meetings that last 2 hours.

2) Another activity, I have been doing on and off during winter/ summer break times for around 2 years now and so how should I decide the hours per week breakdown amcas requests? I just don’t want to end up having weekly activities overall that are crazy / hard to believe.

1) You can list the activity under Extracurricular, but break down the volunteer hours vs club meetings in the description. You can also create an activity name that suggests community service is included.

2) You are not required to provide hours per week, only total hours. You can explain in the narrative that involvement occurs over school breaks. On AMCAS you can break one activity down into four timeframes if your involvement varies widely from year to year.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys,

So for one of my activities I have to attend club meeting that last 2 hours every two weeks. However my actual activity/ community service event that I actually do for the club last about 10 hours on a saturday(7-5) and I only have the event every 3 weeks. So in one quarter I will have attended 3 of these 10 hours events and 5 club meetings that last 2 hours.

Another activity, I have been doing on and off during winter/ summer break times for around 2 years now and so how should I decide the hours per week breakdown amcas requests? I just don’t want to end up having weekly activities overall that are crazy / hard to believe.

Also, off topic.... how long should a typical activity last to make it actually seem relevant and not a application ladder?

Thanks

This level of logistics is not my forte.

Reactions: 1 user