inquiries about switching programs - timeline/instruction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky9

Reaction score
I have questions about switching programs.

I am experiencing a special personal issue in starting my residency that I matched into.
While my program is still willing to wait on me and I would love to work there, there are some timeline concerns since the new match cycle is opening up soon.

Based on the NRMP, one is not supposed to apply for new programs if the contract with a matched program is still effective.
I know some people switch their programs or specialties and rejoin the match cycle. I would like to know how it works and how to set it up.

Would it be possible to send out the application for a new Match cycle on Myeras before breaking the contract? (Or is it just automatically inhibited? Would it be okay until handing out the NRMP list?)

General timeline and planning ideas would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, it makes no sense to try and re-apply unless 1) you don't anticipate this issue being resolved in a manner that allows you to eventually start at your matched program, and 2) this is an issue that is specific to the program/state that you matched at and won't continue to be a problem wherever you match next year.

Unless you give specifics that address those two questions I'm not sure how we can advise you.

Reactions: 1 users