Inquiry regarding PRS resident-level textbook sources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pothos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med student here, not resident. Otherwise I'm sure I'd have this info already, sources parsed out by the program.

I enjoy reading up on the gamut of PRSs scope as a field. As a field, PRS is so wide-open that there are more things that it touches that haven't even occurred to me, than there are things I associate with PRS practice currently. I know because every time I open PRS-J and thumb though I keep exclaiming to myself, 'woah! I wish I'd learned that topic better. I didn't know they used ____ to do _____ to fix (insert craniofacial microsurgery breast hand etc here).' It makes it easier to stay focused on things while in basic sciences, especially when it's late at night in library and I need a little burst of inspiration to buckle down and learn something 100%.

Obviously no one knows everything that is germane to a given specialty at the point of applying to residencies, probably particularly so in PRS, but I'd like a source that is at the resident-level to thumb through. Mainly for 'fun'. It helps to have a little inspirational boost. The greater omentum isn't too tough but I was a little bit rusty on some of the details; had I realized when we went through it was a regular flap source in PRS (ref: last PRS-J had an article I liked) I'd have keyed into every nitty gritty detail easier. I'll stop repeating myself at this point either you feel me or you just won't b/c we're different personalities. I'd like a glimpse (with a handy searchable index) into how what I'm going through now might be seen from a PRS resident's eyes.

So http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Surge...365100768&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+surgery+set really appealed to me on the surface because even though I"m sure there are specific texts (I can find lists scattered all over the web) for each topic that people generally like a lot, at my infant-stage this is a 1-stop shop, it has procedural videos so I could see what they're talking about in some cases, and it's not terribly dated. I recognize this is expensive and that when I get to residency (fingers crossed of course) I will not probably be using this at all, but, assume $ isn't an issue. Do you more experienced trainees or attendings think this would give me what I'd like? Is there a better series or online source or whatever that could make me happy, just not advertized prominently, you might point me towards?

Just to make sure I beat it to death: I know at my stage this isn't a priority (at all). It's for 'fun'. I just think it would appeal to me. Essentials for Plastic Surgery and Michigan Manual and the like just don't get me into it the way I think a real in-depth source would, especially with an OK number of corresponding videos. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The Mathes Plastic Surgery set is terrible. Don't waste any money on it. I haven't looked at the Neligan edition yet, but it's hard to imagine that it's worse.

I recommend to medical students and junior residents that they start with Grabb & Smith's (which is actually quite good).

Gotcha - thanks! So it's 1 volume but 1/10th the cost but looks like doesn't have any videos (DVD text only?). I would miss the videos, though. I feel it's really to get easy extensive shadowing in PRS compared to some other services. Just not enough of them around, weekends harder to get, etc if you don't have a PRS residency at your program. I appreciate the input!

I looked amazon at Grabb and Smith's and found:

" Great for medical students and residents on a plastics rotation. Junk for any one else" .....k.... in that case.... SCORE!! :) Also I saw Mathes out of curiosity; but, no videos AND 6k, do not worry sir it is not in the cards. I think 150 is plenty fair for a good source, I'm still considering Negligan unless I get some bad reviews on it or find a better suggestion. Thanks!