inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atom101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am researching my options overseas. I am a canadian student (undergrad - UofT:oops: )
My inquiry is regarding the competitiveness of Australian Schools and what is the usual GPA range they look for?
Also, what are the chances of coming back to Canada?
I am extremely sorry if these topics have already been discussed before. If you could kindly redirect, that would be great as well.
Thank you very very much......

Members don't see this ad.

atom, if you research a little bit you'll find the gpa and mcat requirements for each of the grad entry medical schools in aus, i reckon its on the acer website, they have a different scale here (goes up to 7) and i think the lowest schools will take is a 5 or 5.5 depending on the school, you can find a conversion chart on the acer website as well for that. it depends on the school but i didnt find it overly competitive getting in here depending on where you apply, im at UQ and i reckon its one of the least competitive schools for international students. Also on the acer website it will tell you how many international students each med school takes so obviously its a good idea to apply to ones that take more. hope this helped, cheers.

thanks for the reply.....I have a few more practical questions.....
I gather that you are an international student studying in Aus?
What does an international student do after completeing the MD? can he/she practice in Aus? or does that require a seperate process?
How about obtaining immigration halfway through the MD degree.....is it possible?

From what I have understood, it is a bit difficult to come back to Canada, but then again who knows how the medical system of Canada will be like in 5 years....that said, what about US?
Thanks a bunch!!
and Happy Valentine's!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What does an international student do after completeing the MD?
How about obtaining immigration halfway through the MD degree....

Yes, I know I am being picky, but it is not an MD in Aus, it is a MBBS (usually) or a B. Med. (Newcastle). They are equivalent to the MD in US.

Dear Atom101, an international student undertaking a 5 or 6 year undergraduate medical degree will graduate with an MBBS which is also the degree conferred in most British undergrad medical schools.

As an international medical student you will be registered with relevant Australian medical insurance companies and student/doctor associations. You will definitely be allowed to do your internship in Australia but international students are at a disadvantage because they may be allocated to less popular hospital sites that may even be rural. The positions at popular major hospitals in Sydney may be snapped up by the local students. But you shouldn't be able to have problems practicing long term in Australia because obviously you have been trained by the Australian system...it's a problem if you're trained overseas and want to practice in Aus...

You can become a PR or citizen in the midst of the program but be careful as your student status changes...this has implications on credits, fees and placement etc...so check with the relevant uni...

thanks for the reply.....I have a few more practical questions.....
I gather that you are an international student studying in Aus?
What does an international student do after completeing the MD? can he/she practice in Aus? or does that require a seperate process?
How about obtaining immigration halfway through the MD degree.....is it possible?

From what I have understood, it is a bit difficult to come back to Canada, but then again who knows how the medical system of Canada will be like in 5 years....that said, what about US?
Thanks a bunch!!
and Happy Valentine's!!

you can transfer your BMBS into and MD very easily. I just did, it took 6 weeks. Easy to come home to N. America, as long as you take the boards and easy to stay in Oz if you want. Although it is hard to get into advanced training in Oz. they need interns and residents though. Getting home to Canada is also manageable again as long as you take all the exams. Get into med school first, then deal with this issue. My school had a N. American club that dealt with all of these issues.

good luck