INS reflections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPsyStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any students/professionals make it to INS this last week? This was my first time. I especially enjoyed the Johns Hopkins team presentation on quantifying Boston process approach and use of regression based norms. Also loved the rehabilitation sessions. Was diasappointed with the lack of sessions on affect/attachment (I only heard the word emotion mentioned a few times the whole week).

Favorite sessions at INS 2007?

Members don't see this ad.

Any students/professionals make it to INS this last week? This was my first time. I especially enjoyed the Johns Hopkins team presentation on quantifying Boston process approach and use of regression based norms. Also loved the rehabilitation sessions. Was diasappointed with the lack of sessions on affect/attachment (I only heard the word emotion mentioned a few times the whole week).

These days I spend the majority of the meeting in conference rooms interviewing postdoc applicants. Did manage to go to the talk on white matter, which was good. Also, did my usual poster session schmoozing. The Benton memorial was very touching.

Hmm... Sorry to change the subject of this thread, but I'm curious how many postdoc apps you typically receive. Would you ever interview a PsyD? What if the PsyD had gone to lengths to extend training/research beyond typical Vail model including years clinical neuropsych experience/report writing, extra coursework, research experience, etc.?

What do you want to see in an ideal applicant?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... Sorry to change the subject of this thread, but I'm curious how many postdoc apps you typically receive. Would you ever interview a PsyD? What if the PsyD had gone to lengths to extend training/research beyond typical Vail model including years clinical neuropsych experience/report writing, extra coursework, research experience, etc.?

What do you want to see in an ideal applicant?

Thanks!

we received about 50 this year and interviewed 22. We have interviewed Psy.D's and did this year also. The have to have demonstrated an interest and ability to engage in research to even be considered. All our applicants (Ph.D. and Psy.D.) have completed training consistent with div40 guidelines with classes in the appropriate areas and traineeships and internships with strong neuropsych components. We also look for good general clinical training and have been less than impressed at times with individuals from some of the "top" neuropsych programs due to their general lack of knowledge and interest in clinical psychology.

This was my first INS, too. I think my favorite session was the white matter symposium. Those images were amazing! Who knew the corpus callosum was so pretty? I presented a poster about emotion perception and I was surprised that there weren't more posters/papers, etc. on affect in general. Anyway, had a fabulous time, learned lots, and loved Portland.

Dr. JT, thanks for writing such a complete response. I really appreciate it. I am sorry I missed the white matter session. I think I was in a memory rehab session, which was also very good.

Regarding the question of affective neuropsychology, I really see this as a big problem. There is a disconnect between neuropsychology and affect, and the labels we use (emotional control, anxiety) are so limited. Damasio, LeDoux, Panksepp, and Schore have done some exciting work, and yet a conference dedicated to clinical/functional brain function mentions emotion only a few times. I guess this is an exciting time to be a neuropsychologist as there is a new world to explore. I hope that some day neuropsychologists will consider emotional functioning and attachment as comprehensively as many of us look at EF these days.

What do others think? I know some feel that emotional assessment should be left "psych evals"....