Inservice topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crockdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm not sure if this has been addressed before or not.

I'm in the middle of my first clinical internship and have to give an inservice during my last week. I'm just curious what topics other people have done in the past.

For those of you who don't know, an inservice is where you give a presentation to the department you are performing your internship at. The idea is to not only encourage the student to do a little research but also to update the clinicians who have been out of school for awhile and have not heard the latest evidence in an ever-changing field.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my favourite inservice topics is at evidence based review of the effectiveness of stretching, there's lots of new stuff out there that some of the PT's who have been practicing for awhile arent aware of. I find this topic also prompts a good discussion in to how can we stretch better or should we stretch at all? IT also prompts discussion on the physiology of stretching

Hey! Good luck on your inservice.

Anyways, my inservices were always dependent on the type of facility and patients I was seeing.

1st clinical (hospital-based SNF)=Lymphatic drainage and it's effect on s/p knee surgeries

2nd clinical (outpatient ortho/sports)=Core stability and its effect on lower extremities

3rd clinical (outpatient neuro)=Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy

4th clinical (outpatient ortho/sports)=Meniscus Allografts

Lots of my classmates did theirs on techniques such as total reverse shoulder surgery, birmingham procedure, etc. Of course at that time, they were in ortho settings...

Members don't see this ad :)
How about the integration and use of (prosthetics &) orthotics in the rehab process?

I'm in the same boat as crockdub...I have an inservice hastily approaching and I still have no idea what to do it on...do you guys have any more ideas in your bank?? :)

One of my favourite inservice topics is at evidence based review of the effectiveness of stretching, there's lots of new stuff out there that some of the PT's who have been practicing for awhile arent aware of. I find this topic also prompts a good discussion in to how can we stretch better or should we stretch at all? IT also prompts discussion on the physiology of stretching

I was actually talking to my CI about stuff and many of the therapists haven't heard the "latest" on stretching that I've learned in my first year, so I'm leaning toward combining a few stretching topics (effects of stretching pre-exercise, creep, how long to stretch, etc.) I have 6 days to make a 15 minute presentation on it.

From what I've been told, they expect a presentation after a first year in school to be a little more basic than what they would expect from a 2nd/3rd year student.

Only an OT here, but I did NDT vs PNF for neuro-heavy rotation. For peds I did a review on options for communication devices for nonverbal kiddos. Cardiac rehab was also done at some point in my long and sordid past.

dc