Insight for future applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Einsteinium.99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a third year DO student interested in anesthesiology, looking for some advice.
Class rank: top quartile, most likely will have a few honors from my third year rotations
USMLE step 1: 260 comlex level 1: 752
Research: none
Volunteering: very few
Family at home with young kids who I preferentially give my spare time to

Wondering how significant the lack of research and volunteer experience is?

Also, I’ve chosen not to do audition/away rotations for the following reasons: good step 1, taking step 2 early and anticipate doing ok, not set on specific program, don’t want to leave my wife alone with twin toddlers. Any thoughts on this decision, good or bad?

Finally, I’m curious about which programs would qualify as reach programs for me and how many programs overall would be a good number to apply to?

I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, congrats on smoking step 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Auditions don’t matter in anesthesia.

Use it as a test drive for programs and Do one if you have a geographic location you want to be at and use it to decide.

Obviously need a rotation somewhere and a letter will obviously help, but isn’t vital.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, I’m curious about which programs would qualify as reach programs for me and how many programs overall would be a good number to apply to?

I'm now too old to know specifics, but is there any reason not to apply to anywhere you might want to go? It's only in scheduling interviews that you actually need to limit yourself and IIRC that advice was to go to maybe 10-15 interviews at least. Worst that happens if you apply is you don't get offered an interview.

I’m a third year DO student interested in anesthesiology, looking for some advice.
Class rank: top quartile, most likely will have a few honors from my third year rotations
USMLE step 1: 260 comlex level 1: 752
Research: none
Volunteering: very few
Family at home with young kids who I preferentially give my spare time to

Wondering how significant the lack of research and volunteer experience is?

Also, I’ve chosen not to do audition/away rotations for the following reasons: good step 1, taking step 2 early and anticipate doing ok, not set on specific program, don’t want to leave my wife alone with twin toddlers. Any thoughts on this decision, good or bad?

I appreciate any input.

Obviously your scores will get you interviews at most programs. However, the relative lack of anything else will probably keep you a little bit lower on some rank lists. The number you apply to and go on is dependent on how many interviews you want to go on.

I would make sure you have good exposure to Anesthesiology and good letters. If you have time to get a position in your school Anesthesia Interest Group, it will help strengthen your application and keep it from looking otherwise empty. A one month research project would also at least give you something to talk about on interview day.

Auditions don’t matter in anesthesia.

What if you don't have a home program? I am at a smaller MD school without an academic program and we are told that we absolutely must

I'll have completed 6 weeks of anesthesia by the time apps go out; I arranged this at a local hospital. I also have one anesthesia LOR already from a prior 2 week elective rotation. So I won't be applying without exposure, and I should be able get a couple more anesthesia LORs

What if you don't have a home program? I am at a smaller MD school without an academic program and we are told that we absolutely must

I’m not a DO, but I came from a med school with no home program, didn’t do any audition rotations (just a rotation with the PP peds anesthesia group at my med school children’s hospital) , and matched at my #1 choice (highly competitive CA program).

For a DO without a home program, away rotations are good for getting LORs. It sounds like you already have one, with the potential for a second before apps go out. Applying with two anesthesia LORs and 260 Step 1 puts you in a good position. Demonstrating a commitment to the field is an important aspect of the application and doing a few 4th year electives in anesthesia is never a bad thing. That being said, you'll be in a solid position to match, so I wouldn't worry.