Insight Into FM/EM Dual Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jl lin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some more insight on those that function using this dual certification FM/EM--I am supposing in rural areas? It seems like these kinds of residencies are limited, and given the supposed shortage in more remote areas for FM people, I'm wondering why.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats a great question. Currently there are a handful of those programs, and also there are a handful of one year EM fellowships for family dcos to add to their skill sets. However, with the fellowship you wont be truly boarded, which kind of stinks. I am doing my "scholarly activity" (as my program puts it) on this subject, the gap in coverage between true boarded EM guys and the family guys who cover small town USA. Your question is very good, as in my opinion this is a TRUE shortage in medicine, as there arent enough boarded EM guys to cover all the ED's, and the logical choice of family docs are perfect but we need to aquire the skill set to handle the acute care pts, the 1/100 that needs intubation or truly critical care. (ACLS etc) The vast majority of mal-practice and negligent suits in this setting stem from that one percent. Would welcome all opinions.

Thats a great question. Currently there are a handful of those programs, and also there are a handful of one year EM fellowships for family dcos to add to their skill sets. However, with the fellowship you wont be truly boarded, which kind of stinks. I am doing my "scholarly activity" (as my program puts it) on this subject, the gap in coverage between true boarded EM guys and the family guys who cover small town USA. Your question is very good, as in my opinion this is a TRUE shortage in medicine, as there arent enough boarded EM guys to cover all the ED's, and the logical choice of family docs are perfect but we need to aquire the skill set to handle the acute care pts, the 1/100 that needs intubation or truly critical care. (ACLS etc) The vast majority of mal-practice and negligent suits in this setting stem from that one percent. Would welcome all opinions.

Yes and since those programs are so limited in availability and limited in spots per program, it would be tough to get into them.

Also, I know I may get blasted for this, but I think they could do a dual FM/EM residency in four-years if they really tried.
I am not saying it would be easy necessarily, but I think if they looked at everything--the overlap areas, etc, they could fuse it together as a four year program. This may also help the present situation and increase these kinds of practitioners where they are needed.