inspiration for all the non-trads out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this was cool. The whole article is really interesting, and I'm pasting a link to it below.

"Friends and colleagues describe him as a cross between Albert Einstein, Albert Schweitzer and the doctor in a Norman Rockwell painting, but back in his teens, Holmes Morton was a high-school dropout who wanted to be a writer. Born 55 years ago in Fayetteville, W.Va., then a town of 2,000 people, he figured he would have more to write about if he saw the world, so he spent six years as a boilerman and engineman in the Merchant Marines and the Navy. He read voraciously during those years, then talked his way into Trinity College and went on to Harvard Medical School. (When he won the prestigious Albert Schweitzer Prize for Humanitarianism for his work in Lancaster County, in 1993, his high school awarded him an honorary diploma.) Gravitating toward the care of children, he did his pediatrics residency at Children's Hospital in Boston, followed by research work at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/magazine/06amish.html

Members don't see this ad.

cool article tigress.

did you get your acceptance to Drexel yet?

I really liked my day there.

The students seem extraordinarily happy.

fiddler

wanted to bump this up because I think the article is worth reading

fiddler, I did get accepted to Drexel! thanks for asking :) The students really are happy, which is cool. Looks to me like you have a whole plate of acceptances headed your way! good luck :luck:

That article is really inspirational for us older people! lol.

I think I will get an acceptance at Drexel. I really like the curriculum they have. It looked like they worked on it and tune it until it optimizes student learning. The lectures are somewhat problems based which really helps you go understand the material in a clinical framework.

I have a friend going to BU and he not happy. I looked at their curriculum and they have the old biochemistry block, micro block, etc. YUCK!

I was looking at Drexel's match list and it looks damn good. I want to go someplace where i am going to be happy for 4 years not hating every minute.

I'm curious what you think and what your husband thinks.

fiddler