LOR’s for a non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoozyk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN. I am hoping for some guidance on my LOR situation if possible.

I graduated college in 2017 and went back two years ago to finish medical school pre-reqs as part of a formal post-bacc. I’m applying next year so starting to think about my LOR options. I will have extremely strong letters from my work and volunteer supervisors, physicians from work, and research mentor. But like many non-trads, I’m stressing about science letters.

1) My school doesn’t have a premed committee, but my advisor offers a letter in lieu of one. Would that replace the science prof requirement for most schools or do they expect both the committee letter and science letters?

2) I had the same two professors for virtually all of my allied health program (very tiny program) but a few of the classes were arguably BCPM (ie Radiation Physics, cross-sectional anatomy). Would those profs count as science profs even though the class is under an allied health label? We are still close so I know they would write me a great letter, vs a generic letter from one of my post-bacc classes.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, the letters from advisors employed by post-bac programs are usually excellent at telling the applicant's story and making a case for the applicant's admission. The fact that it is a substitute for the usual 2 science/1 non-science letters is a bonus.

Reactions: 3 users