Inspiring medical movies, tv shows, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiamondBar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
List your favorite! And is it medically accurate?

Members don't see this ad.

House, because house sounds like a ****ing ******, its humorous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gifted Hands (Based on Ben Carson's life). A bit over the top and kind of obviously a made-for-TV movie, but still. It's good for background noise when you're doing boring things.

Something the lord made with alan rickman and mos def

turning blue babies pink...

Last edited:
Definitely House (if my avatar isn't an indication haha)
But also Mystery diagnosis on Discovery health

I like the puzzle aspect of medicine....

I suppose I should mention, my absolute favorite show ever (even though it was canceled after one season) as literally called "Medical Investigation".

It centers on pandemics and outbreaks, and it follows the investigations of a specialized NIH team trained to deal with, diagnose, and treat outbreaks. There's only 20 episodes, but each of them is an in-depth look at the intricacies of disease and society - there's everything from the effects of pesticides on human beings to the resurfacing of diseases long thought eradicated (such as Smallpox). It also details the human side of medicine - the hard choices physicians have to make at times, life and death, and methodology in everything from blood cultures to clinical trials.

And yeah, it's really over the top. A lot of it is unbelievable and much of it is over-dramatic, and their attempts to thicken storylines can be painful. But compared to a lot of the crap out there, it's amazing.

I miss this show. It really was one of my biggest influences as a teenager - even before I wanted to be a doctor.

Gifted Hands (Based on Ben Carson's life).
^ This + "Something the Lord Made" (the film based on Dr. Alfred Blalock and his assistant Vivien Thomas, the pioneers of modern heart surgery). And Mystery Diagnosis and Dr. G: Medical Examiner are two really cool shows, both on Discovery Health.

For those who've never heard of or seen the latter, Dr. G is a badass. Her genuine passion for her work radiates through the way she expresses the mysteries in her cases.

[youtube]yPYuS_qtzcE[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
The Hills.
96887178.jpg

Last night I was watching Doctor Diaries on Netflix, it is pretty interesting because it documents a group of medical students from day one at Harvard all the way through residency. I'm only done with the first part, but it calming in a way because as med students, all of them were constantly talking about how nervous and worried they were that they'd f something up haha... I'm sure I'm gonna feel that way in med school too lol

Last night I was watching Doctor Diaries on Netflix, it is pretty interesting because it documents a group of medical students from day one at Harvard all the way through residency. I'm only done with the first part, but it calming in a way because as med students, all of them were constantly talking about how nervous and worried they were that they'd f something up haha... I'm sure I'm gonna feel that way in med school too lol

Yeah that documentary is intense, the show really makes the stress of med school tangible. It's really amazing to see the journey from the start of medical school to 20 years later in their life, and see the impact their careers have on their families. IMO it's pretty sad what happens to some of them.

ER - but only the first few seasons. After a few cast members left the show, it turned from medical to drama and it got really annoying, uninspiring, and repetitive.

I recommend only watching up to season 9.

Not accurate... but Grey's rocks my world.:cool:

I second Mystery Diagnosis, but I wouldn't exactly call it inspiring. This morning some lady came down with a suspected case of Foreign Accent Syndrome, a condition only documented like 50 times since 1900. I found John Q (Denzel movie) inspiring and I was like 6 when it came out. Also, if you're into YA fiction try Snadowsky's Anatomy of a Boyfriend... it's all about gross anatomy ;). I read it forever ago yet the very vivid imagery has stuck with me.

Now, I'm jonsing for a copy of Doctor Diaries before the semester starts.

Last edited:
scrubs! Def not medically accurate.

First 3ish seasons were fairly accurate, as they were based on House of God. And, for what it's worth, the characters on Scrubs are actually pretty accurate to what you will find in the hospital - the cocky surgeons, alpha male attendings, insecure interns, uptight nurses. If you search through these boards enough you will find that most people say (or have heard from doctors) that Scrubs is the most accurate of the current shows.

I second Mystery Diagnosis, but I wouldn't exactly call it inspiring. This morning some lady came down with a suspected case of Foreign Accent Syndrome, a condition only documented like 50 times since 1900. I found John Q (Denzel movie) inspiring and I was like 6 when it came out. Also, if you're into YA fiction try Snadowsky's Anatomy of a Boyfriend... it's all about gross anatomy ;). I read it forever ago yet the very vivid imagery has stuck with me.

Now, I'm jonsing for a copy of Doctor Diaries before the semester starts.

Doctors' Diaries is hosted free at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/doctors/program.html:laugh:

Emergency Level One
Trauma Life in the ER
The Hangover- I can be a doctor and an actor!
ken-jeong-john-varvatos-v729-hangover-movie.jpg

Nurse Jackie with HawthoRNe being a distant second (the b!tch factor just isn't there...)

T.V show would probably be ER. But I agree with the previous poster that once some of the characters left (carter, mark green, hathaway, etc) it kinda sucked.

As far as movies go, "And the band played on" is hands down my favorite. Its also an amazing book.

:thumbup: Thanks, I googled. Just finished watching it. 'Twas very... inspiring. I wish it would've been longer. Now, I'm all revved up and full of self-doubt.

As far as movies go, "And the band played on" is hands down my favorite. Its also an amazing book.

Good choice, I love that movie. Watched it last semester for PoliSci. I think I cried in anger and despair throughout.

Last edited:
:thumbup: Thanks, I googled. Just finished watching it. 'Twas very... inspiring. I wish it would've been longer. Now, I'm all revved up and full of self-doubt.

Good choice, I love that movie. Watched it last semester for PoliSci. I think I cried in anger and despair throughout.

I just did a 20 page research paper on 'and the band played on'. I loved it THAT much. Lol

Scrubs started this whole med school thing for me. Then came Grey's anatomy, Discovery health channel

I've read several medical memoirs, and by far the best one is Hot Lights, Cold Steel. It's about a surgical resident at the Mayo going for his Ortho specialty.

There was this other one I read about this guy who had just gotten his Ph.D in Physics when he randomly decides to go to Med School. It wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't so unbelievably whiny. You can tell that he wasn't meant for that job. Somehow he makes it through his Cardio specialty without killing himself, but I'm sure he's not happy even when all said and done.

And perhaps other then Scrubs, no current fictional medical-based tv show should ever be viewed with intentions of being inspired. Especially Grey's Anatomy.

Anything gory on Discovery Channel, as well as the not so gory ones like Mystery Diagnosis and Dr.90210.

^ This + "Something the Lord Made" (the film based on Dr. Alfred Blalock and his assistant Vivien Thomas, the pioneers of modern heart surgery). And Mystery Diagnosis and Dr. G: Medical Examiner are two really cool shows, both on Discovery Health.

For those who've never heard of or seen the latter, Dr. G is a badass. Her genuine passion for her work radiates through the way she expresses the mysteries in her cases.

[youtube]yPYuS_qtzcE[/youtube]

good show, i actually wanted to do that for life but then i looked up medical examiner's salary and i was like, yea, nm.

I'm going to throw my money in with Scrubs, followed by House.

I also like whatever shows they have on Discovery Health really late at night, I never remember their names but they're basically reenactments of medical mysteries.

And medical oddity shows, like the one about the woman with a 200lb tumor. What first got me interested in medicine when I was a kid was seeing a documentary about the Mutter Museum, which I still am dying to go visit.

I like House. It may not be accurate, but the crap House says is pretty funny. I also like Trauma: Life in the ER, Boston Med, and Hopkins.

I like House. It may not be accurate, but the crap House says is pretty funny. I also like Trauma: Life in the ER, Boston Med, and Hopkins.

When are Hopkins reruns? I know the series is on iTunes for like 8$ but I don't wanna spend the money.

When are Hopkins reruns? I know the series is on iTunes for like 8$ but I don't wanna spend the money.
I don't think they show it on TV anymore. I decided to spend the $8 for it on iTunes :cool:

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

In the movie, you will learn
- What to do with your MCAT book when you're at the stage of interviews
- What to do the night before an interview with a top school
- How to act the day of the interview, particularly how to surprise them
- How to perform surgery under the influence of marijuana

Pretty educational, if I do say so myself (and I do say so myself) :thumbup:

Of course the Scrubs and the old ER's, and even House are very entertaining.

But what made me actually want to go into medicine: Pearl Harbor (even though Kate Beckinsdale was in fact a nurse, not a doc... it was the whole "medical heroine" thing about her character that inspired me).

Don't judge...

Of course the Scrubs and the old ER's, and even House are very entertaining.

But what made me actually want to go into medicine: Pearl Harbor (even though Kate Beckinsdale was in fact a nurse, not a doc... it was the whole "medical heroine" thing about her character that inspired me).

Don't judge...

*Judged*

I agree with ER, the first few seasons. Doug and Carol. :D Can't get better than that.

OMG I almost peed my pants. This was not in the original. Oh but it should have been. :laugh:

oh my god . . . that was nuts. did he really say "i've got smegma on my motherf$%ing knee" !?!?!