Instant gratification in Pulm/cc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wboyc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any sort of instant gratification in your specialty? How often does your intervention actually fix or greatly help a patient? Is it mostly just management of symptoms? Also, what procedures do you get to do on a daily basis? Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident in internal medicine and I'm interested in Pulm. I posted a thread with a similar question, but I'm looking forward to the discussion.

From my limited experience, COPD exacerbations really get better after receiving prednisone. And watching a patient go from respiratory distress to being confortable after BiPAP treatment is pretty neat.

The rest, less so...

I saw an ABG result today - I made some adjustment to the vent, the follow-up ABG was better. I was happy :banana:

Someone had a large effusion and was short of breath. I drained that effusion. Patient could breath better. Patient was happy. I was happy :=|:-):

Another one had a suspicious peripheral nodule. Able to reach it with navigational bronch. Rapid onsite pathologist read it as positive for malignancy. Patient being referred to surgeon. Patient was happy it was found early.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have to make adjustmenst all the time. Patient otherwise will die if you dont intubate or even as simple as using a bibap instead of regular oxygen mask.

I saw an ABG result today - I made some adjustment to the vent, the follow-up ABG was better. I was happy :banana:

Someone had a large effusion and was short of breath. I drained that effusion. Patient could breath better. Patient was happy. I was happy :=|:-):

Another one had a suspicious peripheral nodule. Able to reach it with navigational bronch. Rapid onsite pathologist read it as positive for malignancy. Patient being referred to surgeon. Patient was happy it was found early.

Navigational Bronch is awesome. Loving it. Got lucky with a small nodule today and felt like a boss!
Little pleasures!

Navigational Bronch is awesome. Loving it. Got lucky with a small nodule today and felt like a boss!
Little pleasures!

ENB is neat when it's neat. And don't get me wrong, I'm totally doing them. But just wait for that 3 hour slog when nothing comes back positive in a smoker with a nasty looking lesion.

Reactions: 1 user
ENB is neat when it's neat. And don't get me wrong, I'm totally doing them. But just wait for that 3 hour slog when nothing comes back positive in a smoker with a nasty looking lesion.

It's not all roses and songs I've been there!
But when it works it's awesomeness.

The kicker is when the patient has a procedure related pneumothorax from all the emphysematous blebs surrounding the lesion ... like kicking a dog when it's down.

The kicker is when the patient has a procedure related pneumothorax from all the emphysematous blebs surrounding the lesion ... like kicking a dog when it's down.

Yeah, but I think we still do better than the rads guys when it comes to pneumos in these emphysema cases.