Institute of Living?

Started by maranatha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maranatha

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was wondering if anybody knows about the IOL? I saw one good review from Poety who interviewed there last year, but that is it. I'm deciding whether or not to go on the interview and would really appreciate some insight.

Thanks!!!
 
What attracted me to the IOL was some unique research opportunities. It's not a huge reserach center, but they do have a lot of interesting work with neuroimaging, particularly as it pertains to schizophrenia. Also, they have a virtual reality (VR) lab, where they present VR images and sound, and use it to study the effects of marajuana and alcohol on the brain while driving, participants play video games while stoned or drunk, attached to a functional MRI (I think they used Grand Turismo). They also have done some work w/ADHD and VR.
Also they have a 5 year combined child psych/adult psych program. And from what I've seen from their material, Hartford is a cheaper section of Conneticut compared with New Haven, and some of the other New York City bedroom communities (lacking the prestige of Yale obviously).
Hope that helps.
 
Thanks, Zen. I'm going on the interview....Maybe I'll see you there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does one become a research subject in this lab??? LOL..

😀

In our hospital we have "research subjects" staying in the hospital and participating in Marijuana and Heroin research. These are "non-treatment seeking subjects" because it would be unethical to give heroin to a subject interested in detoxing. The best part - our heroin research subjects are on the same unit as the borderline and eating disorder patients. As crazy as it sounds, it's a great experience as a resident to do inpatient psychotherapy with substance abusers for 6-8 weeks. We get a lot of practice in motivational interviewing (yes, the researchers are not thrilled about that).

MBK2003