Reputation of the Institute of Living for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enraemert

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering about what the reputation of this program is. An academic program not associated with an university sounds interesting, but going to a non-university program for residency sounds daunting as well. Everything I see about it seems to think that is well known in the Psych community but I personally havent heard much about it. Just wondering about the general reputation/tier/what people say of the program.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at the IoL this past cycle - didn't match there, though. My impression was generally positive: engaged PD, thoughtful faculty, nice people as residents. The IoL as an institution has been around for a long long time (and the campus be purdy, too!) and is relatively steeped in psychodynamics - so that could be a plus or a minus depending on your interests. There are connections to UConn and Yale but for research etc but it's its own entity. It seemed like they have good volume and a nice spread of subspecialty options.

There are a few of non-university academic programs out there, and some community programs that seem very academic. It's all about fit with your goals at the end of the day.

There are lots of academic and non-academic affiliated residencies. I wouldn't recommend assuming anything about one based on that.

Reactions: 1 user