Institutional Action Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gookies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a DMCA complaint a couple years ago at my university and my university gives a warning for the first time it happens and just takes a note of it, just in case you do it again and receive another complaint and the consequences escalate. I read the AMCAS portion about IAs and I contacted student affairs to see if I had anything on my disciplinary record/transcript. Both are clean. I'm currently in the process of contacting them again about being unsure whether or not this is considered institutional action (as AMCAS recommends). AMCAS also states to report IA/conduct violations that may not appear on your official transcripts. If student affairs responds back to me saying that this is not an IA/ conduct violation, and should be treated as what it is (a warning), should I still mention it? Just wondering on how to approach this matter. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a DMCA complaint a couple years ago at my university and my university gives a warning for the first time it happens and just takes a note of it, just in case you do it again and receive another complaint and the consequences escalate. I read the AMCAS portion about IAs and I contacted student affairs to see if I had anything on my disciplinary record/transcript. Both are clean. I'm currently in the process of contacting them again about being unsure whether or not this is considered institutional action (as AMCAS recommends). AMCAS also states to report IA/conduct violations that may not appear on your official transcripts. If student affairs responds back to me saying that this is not an IA/ conduct violation, and should be treated as what it is (a warning), should I still mention it? Just wondering on how to approach this matter. Thank you.

I've been hearing a lot about DMCA issues lately. You guys must've been downloading tons of stuff to get singled out.

I'm assuming that after your school warned you to stop, you either stopped or stopped getting caught. If that's the case, I don't consider it an IA (warning != IA imo) and I wouldn't report it. Imo anything that the school hasn't kept on record (even internally) isn't an IA.

I've been hearing a lot about DMCA issues lately. You guys must've been downloading tons of stuff to get singled out.

I'm assuming that after your school warned you to stop, you either stopped or stopped getting caught. If that's the case, I don't consider it an IA (warning != IA imo) and I wouldn't report it. Imo anything that the school hasn't kept on record (even internally) isn't an IA.

Yep, have received no further complaints. It's because I forgot to secure my router, so everyone on my floor had access to it. I don't really download anything much on campus, I do it when I'm home. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Sometimes people just get unlucky. I knew someone who literally had just installed a torrent client then gets a letter in the mail four days later.

Yep, have received no further complaints. It's because I forgot to secure my router, so everyone on my floor had access to it. I don't really download anything much on campus, I do it when I'm home. :thumbup:

I may or may not be doing this right now. Unfortunately I think my ISP is somehow throttling my MAC address and not my IP because no matter which router I use, my connection sucks compared to my roommate's. :(

Sometimes people just get unlucky. I knew someone who literally had just installed a torrent client then gets a letter in the mail four days later.

Oh wow that sucks.. :scared:

That's terrible. I pirate stuff all the time, but don't live on campus. :naughty:

Yes! Finally the perfect moment to use that smiley!!!

I often go to campus to download. The internet in my building is awful.

Yeah, it's usually not the amount of content you download. You could be one unlucky individual (not really, usually only happens if you download "new" stuff) and get hit with a DMCA letter with your first download. Thanks for the advice everyone, but will wait on a response from my student affairs.

Edit: Also, I'm sure someone will come in here and say something like, "learn to use usenet," but the only downloads I do now are through sharing sites (mediafire, rapidshare, etc).

Yeah, it's usually not the amount of content you download. You could be one unlucky individual (not really, usually only happens if you download "new" stuff) and get hit with a DMCA letter with your first download. Thanks for the advice everyone, but will wait on a response from my student affairs.

Edit: Also, I'm sure someone will come in here and say something like, "learn to use usenet," but the only downloads I do now are through sharing sites (mediafire, rapidshare, etc).

I used to use usenet. Can't remember why I stopped.

I often go to campus to download. The internet in my building is awful.

I moved back home and have Comcast cable internet. It rocks! :D

Yeah I've downloaded tons and tons of stuff over the years, and only received a warning once when I downloaded three NBC shows at the same time, all Law & Order Episodes. :rolleyes: The ISP is unlikely to rat you out unless you keep doing it or download a ridiculous amount of stuff. A buddy of mine used to download tons of movies during all times of the day. He actually got busted by law enforcement! :scared: You can definitely use those download sites, as there are plenty of search engines which will locate files via many of those sites. Be careful though, especially if you decide to get a premium account. You'll leave a paper trail. I usually prefer those over Torrents because it feels safer. But lately I've done quite a few Torrents, especially to get FLAC files, and haven't had any issues at all. Be safe my friend! :thumbup:

My PI got hit with a DMCA complaint letter because someone (I assume it was a janitor working overnight) downloaded a movie off of one of his lab computers (think it might've just been left on).

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait, aren't torrent programs themselves legal? I'm assuming they're against every school's policy though...

I feel kind of left out since I haven't used it. How does it compare to stuff like Rapidshare?

Better. It's basically got more selection than torrents and is way faster.

Edit: I remember being able to download high quality (this was at least 5 years ago so idk exactly how big the files were) movies in under 20 minutes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Wait, aren't torrent programs themselves legal? I'm assuming they're against every school's policy though...

Torrent programs are indeed legal. I've downloaded plenty of legal stuff from a torrent client. Torrenting is often the fastest way of downloading stuff like Ubuntu and other Linux OS's. However, everyone knows that 99% of the time torrent clients are used for downloading copyrighted material.

Programs like uTorrent aren't against the rules at the university that I go to :)

They should be, but in terms of Torrents, I don't think I've ever seen many things that weren't actually pirated and infringing on copyrights.

Lots of artists just want to share their music for free to get their name out there so they'll use torrents. You're right for the vast majority of torrents though.

I had this exact same question--so everyone agrees, no need to report as long as nothing is on my disciplinary record?

sadly for me, not the case :(

I had this exact same question--so everyone agrees, no need to report as long as nothing is on my disciplinary record?

yes.

if your disciplinary record is clear, then you're 100 percent good. even amcas tells you to seek "confirmation of your record". you're clear

i also got a warning, but at my school, a warning goes on your record, so i got to check that lovely little box.

AMCAS also states to divulge anything that may not be on your record either if it's an IA/conduct violation I believe. Reason why I'm double checking my warning (if it should be considered an IA/conduct violation, even though it is not on my transcript or disciplinary record) with the school officials, so I won't have a guilty conscience.

Here it is again, from AAMC:

"Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional
action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if
such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must
answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official
transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

If you answer Yes, you may use the space provided to explain; your response may be up
to 1325 characters or approximately one-quarter of a page in length.
Failure to provide accurate information in answering this question or, if applicable, in
completing the form provided by the school, will result in an investigation. Medical
schools require you to answer this question accurately and provide all relevant
information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and
emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure will enable the medical schools to more
effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.
Applicants who become the subject of an institutional action after certifying and
submitting the AMCAS application must inform their designated medical school(s) within
10 business days of the date of the occurrence"

"If you are not certain whether or not you have been the subject of an institutional action, contact the registrar, student affairs officer, or other appropriate party at the institution for confirmation of
your record."

Torrent programs are indeed legal. I've downloaded plenty of legal stuff from a torrent client. Torrenting is often the fastest way of downloading stuff like Ubuntu and other Linux OS's. However, everyone knows that 99% of the time torrent clients are used for downloading copyrighted material.

Programs like uTorrent aren't against the rules at the university that I go to :)

Lots of artists just want to share their music for free to get their name out there so they'll use torrents. You're right for the vast majority of torrents though.

Rookie mistake ;)

I wouldn't worry about it too much

There are other ways to get them without using a torrent :naughty::naughty: OP, why did you illegally download it in the university with an unsecured network? Not the best idea. Anyhow, I don't think it should be considered an IA as you weren't "reprimanded".

I'm a stickler for ethical conduct, and I do not see why you should feel obligated to divulge this. You were not "acted upon", you were warned that your behavior was unacceptable. No mention of it appears on your record. It's always good to ensure you're "doing the right thing", but you should feel guilt-free about not discussing this. =P

AMCAS also states to divulge anything that may not be on your record either if it's an IA/conduct violation I believe. Reason why I'm double checking my warning (if it should be considered an IA/conduct violation, even though it is not on my transcript or disciplinary record) with the school officials, so I won't have a guilty conscience.

"Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional
action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if
such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must
answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official

If you answer Yes, you may use the space provided to explain; your response may be up
Failure to provide accurate information in answering this question or, if applicable, in
completing the form provided by the school, will result in an investigation. Medical
information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and
emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure will enable the medical schools to more
Applicants who become the subject of an institutional action after certifying and
submitting the AMCAS application must inform their designated medical school(s) within

"If you are not certain whether or not you have been the subject of an institutional action, contact the registrar, student affairs officer, or other appropriate party at the institution for confirmation of
your record."

I'm a stickler for ethical conduct, and I do not see why you should feel obligated to divulge this. You were not "acted upon", you were warned that your behavior was unacceptable. No mention of it appears on your record. It's always good to ensure you're "doing the right thing", but you should feel guilt-free about not discussing this. =P

SDN is sure an interesting bunch...

*They all score in the 30s on their MCATs.
*They are extremely altruistic.
*They would never do anything to gain an unfair advantage to others, like use stimulants illegally.
*They would never ever under any circumstance cheat on an exam.
*They would throw their grandmother under the bus if she cheated on an exam.

Yet...

*They all ask if they can conceal what appears to be an institutional action or at least make sure they don't have to report it, despite AAMC's policy.
*Best way to get a criminal offense either expunged or get around it.
*Same thing with DUIs.

What an interesting bunch... :rolleyes: :naughty:

There are other ways to get them without using a torrent :naughty::naughty: OP, why did you illegally download it in the university with an unsecured network? Not the best idea. Anyhow, I don't think it should be considered an IA as you weren't "reprimanded".

If you've read, I stated that my router was unsecured and that my whole dorm floor had access to it. Hence, I'm the one that didn't download it. If you have an unsecured router and someone downloads using it, it will be your fault and you will be hit with the DMCA complaint.

"Institutional Action

your record
."

AMCAS really conflicts itself in this incident. it explicitly tells you to confirm your "record", strongly implying that you are safe going by your school's record. so if the record's clear, as in OP's case, then you can answer no with a clear conscious.

however, the description also tells you to disclose all IAs as a result of conduct violations regardless of whether the incident is on your transcript/record!

anybody else see this shocking discrepancy?

technically, the op did violate university policy by doing something he's not supposed to be doing, and as a result, the university gave him a warning. whether or not a "warning" counts as an "IA" varies by school. apparently, the op's school didn't treat the warning as an IA because the warning didn't make its way onto the op's disciplinary record.

AMCAS really conflicts itself in this incident. it explicitly tells you to confirm your "record", strongly implying that you are safe going by your school's record. so if the record's clear, as in OP's case, then you can answer no with a clear conscious.

however, the description also tells you to disclose all IAs as a result of conduct violations regardless of whether the incident is on your transcript/record!

technically, the op did violate university policy by doing something he's not supposed to be doing, and as a result, the university gave him a warning. whether or not a "warning" counts as an "IA" varies by school. apparently, the op's school didn't treat the warning as an IA because the warning didn't make its way onto the op's disciplinary record.

I also was going to bring up this point. If they did not state to confirm your record if you received an IA and just to say "Yes" if you ever received any IA or conduct violations, that would clear up more things.

SDN is sure an interesting bunch...

*They all score in the 30s on their MCATs.
*They are extremely altruistic.
*They would never do anything to gain an unfair advantage to others, like use stimulants illegally.
*They would never ever under any circumstance cheat on an exam.
*They would throw their grandmother under the bus if she cheated on an exam.

Yet...

*They all ask if they can conceal what appears to be an institutional action or at least make sure they don't have to report it, despite AAMC's policy.
*Best way to get a criminal offense either expunged or get around it.
*Same thing with DUIs.

What an interesting bunch... :rolleyes: :naughty:

If this is directed towards Patty, then I apologize, but I'm not trying to conceal or "hide" anything. If I need to state it, I will, but as you see with aspiring's reply, there is a discrepancy with AAMC's guideline on it.

If this is directed towards Patty, then I apologize, but I'm not trying to conceal or "hide" anything. If I need to state it, I will, but as you see with aspiring's reply, there is a discrepancy with AAMC's guideline on it.

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't actually directing it toward anyone in particular. I meant that with SDN as a whole, this is the pattern you generally see. I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did. :(

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't actually directing it toward anyone in particular. I meant that with SDN as a whole, this is the pattern you generally see. I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did. :(

None taken. I've searched SDN for other IA threads and can see where you're coming from.

None taken. I've searched SDN for other IA threads and can see where you're coming from.

Good. :)

I'm guessing that applicants admitting to IAs with absolutely no record of it is probably as common as people paying the use tax for items purchased online. :smuggrin:

Good. :)

I'm guessing that applicants admitting to IAs with absolutely no record of it is probably as common as people paying the use tax for items purchased online. :smuggrin:

haha, but you can't really blame them when the AMCAS ALSO tells you to confirm your record with your school.

maybe they should change their wording

Get a seedbox with VPN and get usenet. Problem solved : )

It seems like the majority of individuals on SDN would NOT report anything that is not recorded on their disciplinary record and/or transcript. Is there anyone who received any violation or anything that was not reported on their record, but still answered YES, since AAMC also states to disclose it even if it's not recorded.

It seems like the majority of individuals on SDN would NOT report anything that is not recorded on their disciplinary record and/or transcript. Is there anyone who received any violation or anything that was not reported on their record, but still answered YES, since AAMC also states to disclose it even if it's not recorded.

disclose even if it isn't recorded on your record, but then you are encouraged to confirm your record and use that as your basis...

i dont think anyone would report anything if you have a clean disciplinary history. and the wording on the AMCAS explicitly supports this move.

Why would you need a vpn if your seedbox if you're renting a seedbox in a server farm. However, if you're downloading content on your own pc a vpn wouldn't be a bad idea

disclose even if it isn't recorded on your record, but then you are encouraged to confirm your record and use that as your basis...

i dont think anyone would report anything if you have a clean disciplinary history. and the wording on the AMCAS explicitly supports this move.

I think that AMCAS is trying to help people who will say, "I didn't know I had a record? waah waaah Please don't accuse me of falsifying my application! I didn't know I had a record."

If you check, and you have a record then you have to report.

At least at my school, there's a distinction between informal resolutions such as a warning (don't need to be reported), institutional actions hidden from your record (may need to be reported), and IA's on your record (must be reported). I think the best way to handle this is rather than just asking for a copy of your records, to directly quote the AMCAS question to the relevant dean or office and ask how to respond.

Well, AMCAS states to disclose anything that is a conduct violation even if it's not recorded on your record, but I did read one of LizzyM's post awhile ago while searching for this and stumbled upon one of her posts where she says she doesn't think a warning from the university shouldn't be considered to be disclosed..

Well, since it's best to go to the source for answers, that's what I did. Contacted AAMC and received this response. So, whoever has another IA question in the future should reference this thread.

"Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

That is correct. If your Institution does not consider this an institutional action you do not have to report.

If we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at [email protected] or (202) 828-0600 M-F 9a-7p ET.

Thank you"

I'm really confused as to what kind of situation could arise where something does not appear on your record, but you would still report.

For example--my school said my record has a reportable and nonreportable section. If I understand correctly, if something was on the nonreportable "private section" it would not be sent out when someone requests my conduct record, but it's still recorded by my school, and thus should be included on AMCAS.
But in this thread, and previous threads on SDN, it seems that people argue that an informal "warning", or for example an "admonition" from student housing, that does not make it onto ANY section of the conduct record should still reported because the institution took action (albeit informal) against you.

But it appears from your AMCAS reply that this isn't necessarily the case. If it's not on any portion of your conduct record (i.e. neither the "reportable" nor "private" parts), it is not considered a conduct violation by your school, and thus not reportable.
So specifically in this case of this thread, if your school just passes on the email they got regarding DMCA and tells you to delete the file without putting anything on your record, it's not reportable. If however, they record giving you a formal warning on your conduct file, then it is. Is my understanding of this correct?

Last edited:
Well. with the AMCAS response, it seems like if your school isn't considering it an institutional action, you don't have to report it. The AMCAS representative does say it directly. Also, I believe that pretty much the individuals that are saying to report it even though it's not on your record are the ones who aren't even in the situation, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even report it on theirs. It does seem like if it's not on your record, then it shouldn't be reported, but then it does state to divulge if it's not on your record..so I don't know. Still kind of confused even though I received a response from AMCAS.

I hate the grey area of public vs. private school records. I have a couple of minor, "in house" things like an "academic probation" for falling below full time standing by 1 credit for failing a class one semester, but this was erased from my transcript after retaking it and only held in the "private" record. Same with some silly noise violation from housing. I was told, by the registrar, it would never be released to schools and my "public" record was clean. So, by the logic of AAMC saying if the school doesn't call it an IA I don't need to report it, I won't. Hopefully, if it should somehow bite me in the rear, I can reference both the AAMC response and my registrar's email.

Meh. Vague as hell.

It is a gray area, but if you choose not to report anything that's not on your record, I think you would be technically lying on the application. The institution did take action on you and you did violate your university's policy. But I believe most people on here wouldn't report it like I said, because they will never find out. I guess it ends up being based on your personality and ethics if you would report it.

I think you're supposed to report if the school ever considered it an IA, even if it was taken off the "public" portion of your record. If however, the school gave you a warning of some sort that was never considered an IA (neither on the "public" nor "private records), then you don't need to report it.

Essentially, I think they want you to self-report the "private" portion of your disciplinary record.

I think you're supposed to report if the school ever considered it an IA, even if it was taken off the "public" portion of your record. If however, the school gave you a warning of some sort that was never considered an IA (neither on the "public" nor "private records), then you don't need to report it.

Essentially, I think they want you to self-report the "private" portion of your disciplinary record.

How are you defining an IA? Because your university did take "action" when sending you that notice to delete your files. Also, it's also any violation of the university policies. Like I stated before, I doubt anyone on this forum would report something that isn't on their records, but I'm still emailing AMCAS about this matter. I might end up saying yes, depending on AMCAS' reponse to me.

Good news to all, the AMCAS rep responded to me by saying:

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

According to the information you've provided you can answer no to this question. You contacted your registrar or appropriate personnel at your institution and they've told you there is or will not be a record of the incident recorded on your records, this is sufficient confirmation you have no institutional action to report.

I worked in IT in the past. If you download nonstop, this is the way to go (use all of the above). Make sure to get a VPN that offers OpenVPN encryption, and not PPoE. PPoE has security vulnerabilities that can give away your identity very easily. If you use VPN, you need to configure your PC/Mac to terminate the Internet connection completely if your connection to the VPN is lost. Therefore you do not have to worry about downloading unprotected.

I also know of people who have received warning letters from private torrents. There are companies/people who have jobs where all they do is scavenger the Internet to find any place violating intellectual property laws. BayTSP, for example is often contracted by NBCUniversal to hunt down these sites and the people these sites, including private trackers. If you do not have VPN or a seedbox, they can find out your ISP right away along with your IP address. At that point, you can expect a warning.

The general rule is, don't download the latest movies (e.g. In theaters or just released on DVD) or recently released music, via torrent. Those downloaders are the ones that are specifically sought after. Specifically, literally the second you start seeding/sharing the downloaded torrent, you can get in to a lot of trouble (more than just downloading).

I have (some) respect for copyright law, but the DCMA can be insane. There are exemptions to copyright law in certain circumstances (i.e. access to books in digital format for people with print disabilities, via nonprofit companies, who are allowed to make digital copies, royalty free). If there is (only) one (insane) individual who has IP rights to a book posted to a database/website intended to give access only to people with print disabilitiies, royalty free, who doesn't agree with the specific exemption to copyright law (Chafee Amendment), they can file a DCMA complaint. One complaint can ruin the website, since all of the credit card companies and banks are obligated to stop all transactions with the legitimate company. So, since DCMA effects money flow, it basically can supersede all other laws and ruin companies over a single complaint, legitimate or not.

Anyways, I subscibe to various media streaming/database services, because it is not ok to pirate things. However, all of these services have quality issues, have limited selection (sometimes even due to greedy IP owners).

There are not any decent book database (digital) subscription services for students in general. The textbook companies and the bookstores all rip us off. In fact I am pretty sure some of the paper copies of the books I ordered off of a popular website are counterfeit. Amazon Prime is a joke and does not give you access to the textbooks for university. If I could have access to any book I wanted for school, in PDF (and without some insane type of DRM-Digital Rights Management-Protection) I would be so happy. It would make my life a lot easier.

Right now, I just scan all of the textbooks I need. I have a print disability so I will not get in to trouble. Otherwise it is illegal to scan more than 10 % of any printed work.

Just remember that not all people download for fun and games. Many people do it for educational purposes.