• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Institutional Action Explanation

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
    You tell the truth and own any transgressions. Do NOT make excuses. The PS is not for this; it's for "Who am I?" and "Why Medicine?"

You'll have prompts in the secondary for explanations for the IA and dismissal.

Adcom members read the entire thing...they're not parceled out.

I'm in the process of writing an institutional action explanation for the AACOMAS app. It was an institutional dismissal due to the quality of my grades at the time. I was under academic probation for two quarters, and subsequently dismissed when I failed to show improvement. Since the expulsion, I took a year off from academics, and then went on to graduate and complete 140 units of a DIY postbacc with a 3.8 gpa for these last units.

Now, the personal crisis I had at my undergraduate institution strongly ties to my interests in medicine and why I would like to become a physician. I've mentioned this crisis and my reasoning in my personal statement.

How would I address my IA statement? Do I summarize the issues highlighted in my PS and add it to this statement? Or will a quick 4-5 sentence explanation be sufficient?

Do adcoms read personal statements in conjuction with IA statements, or do different people read each section?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Reactions: 1 user
    About the Ads

DoctorCupcake

7+ Year Member
    Sep 5, 2013
    1. Medical Student
      You tell the truth and own any transgressions. Do NOT make excuses. The PS is not for this; it's for "Who am I?" and "Why Medicine?"

You'll have prompts in the secondary for explanations for the IA and dismissal.

Adcom members read the entire thing...they're not parceled out.
      Would it be fine to briefly mention the crisis and how it led me to medicine in the PS? And witholding mention of the IA until the alotted section in the secondary?

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Would it be fine to briefly mention the crisis and how it led me to medicine in the PS? And witholding mention of the IA until the alotted section in the secondary?
        I have found that no matter how it's written, these always read as excuses, if in the PS. Don't go there.

Reactions: 1 users
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.