Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Institutional Action Help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by owlmd, Aug 1, 2015.

1. owlmd

Pre-Medical
    I am a rising senior at a top-20 research university applying to medical schools for Fall 2016 admission.

MCAT: 33 GPA: 3.75

I have extensive research experience, went on a medical brigade to Honduras, volunteer at a hospital, hold several leadership/mentorship positions at my current university, and participate in a variety of extracurriculars.

I went to a state school my freshman year before transferring to my current university. During my freshman year, I was at a party. I didn't drink at the time (I was 18), but I think some one spiked my drink. Feeling really sick, I started walking back to my dorm on campus. On the way, I was stopped by university police and questioned. As someone who had never been drunk before, I was completely disoriented and gave false information. I ended up getting in trouble with the university (deferred suspension) but thankfully had no legal issues. I haven't gotten into any trouble since, and I feel terrible about the incident. Other than this blemish on my record, I feel like I am a good candidate.

I am planning on disclosing this information on AMCAS, but I'm worried that saying "my drink was spiked" sounds like making excuses. I'm hesitant to say I was drinking because I wasn't. Any suggestions on how to convey this information while sounding mature and responsible?

2. ZedsDed

ZedsDed You know what really grinds my gears?
    Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If your drink truly was spiked then you are a victim of a crime. Is there a reason you didn't report this to the proper authorities? Also, what do you mean you gave "false information?" A fake name or something?

3. OP
    OP
    owlmd

Pre-Medical
    When I was going through the judicial process at my university, I told them multiple times that I thought my drink had been spiked or switched. When I began my medical school applications, I asked for a copy of my record. On the case resolution form, it mentions that I thought my drink was spiked, but the university never looked into it. I guess I never reported it because I was so scared about the entire situation. I never even realized that I was the victim of a crime.

About the false information - I said I didn't have my ID on me, when I actually did. I think I gave a fake name as well. I feel terrible about this, and it still bothers me 4 years later. I would NEVER have done this had I not been intoxicated. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but I don't know what to do.

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    The only thing that worries me in this whole story is that appears that you have not yet submitted your AMCAS application. Other than being at least a month late to that party, there is nothing that concerns me about your application. You were feeling woozy at a party, suspected that something had been added to your drink without your knowledge, were stopped by campus police, [here insert whatever is in your case resolution form] and received a deferred suspension and have since then have not had any other incident.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cherubb3 and Goro like this.
  5. Dr. Death

2+ Year Member

If I were you, I would just say you were drinking, perhaps adcoms would appreciate honesty (in this case dishonesty) more than something that sounds like an excuse. I don't know though. Sucky situation, I hope it doesn't hold you back you are a stellar candidate.

6. OP
    OP
    owlmd

Pre-Medical
    LizzyM">
    Thank you so much for your advice. I was planning on submitting my application in June (I have been working on it since the spring semester), but unfortunately, I came down with a bacterial infection that knocked me out for 3 weeks. This is the last thing I needed for my application, and I will be submitting today. I hope it doesn't count against me too much.

7. OP
    OP
    owlmd

Pre-Medical
    I feel the same way. In my explanation, I included that "I realized that my drink, which was supposed to be non-alcoholic, must have contained alcohol. As a freshman with no prior experience with alcohol, I did not know how to handle this situation."

Thanks for your advice!

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Don't lose hope. Given the delay, and the IA, it might be November before you get an interview invite.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    owlmd and Goro like this.