Institutional Action Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owlmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising senior at a top-20 research university applying to medical schools for Fall 2016 admission.

MCAT: 33 GPA: 3.75

I have extensive research experience, went on a medical brigade to Honduras, volunteer at a hospital, hold several leadership/mentorship positions at my current university, and participate in a variety of extracurriculars.

I went to a state school my freshman year before transferring to my current university. During my freshman year, I was at a party. I didn't drink at the time (I was 18), but I think some one spiked my drink. Feeling really sick, I started walking back to my dorm on campus. On the way, I was stopped by university police and questioned. As someone who had never been drunk before, I was completely disoriented and gave false information. I ended up getting in trouble with the university (deferred suspension) but thankfully had no legal issues. I haven't gotten into any trouble since, and I feel terrible about the incident. Other than this blemish on my record, I feel like I am a good candidate.

I am planning on disclosing this information on AMCAS, but I'm worried that saying "my drink was spiked" sounds like making excuses. I'm hesitant to say I was drinking because I wasn't. Any suggestions on how to convey this information while sounding mature and responsible?

Members don't see this ad.

If your drink truly was spiked then you are a victim of a crime. Is there a reason you didn't report this to the proper authorities? Also, what do you mean you gave "false information?" A fake name or something?

If your drink truly was spiked then you are a victim of a crime. Is there a reason you didn't report this to the proper authorities? Also, what do you mean you gave "false information?" A fake name or something?

When I was going through the judicial process at my university, I told them multiple times that I thought my drink had been spiked or switched. When I began my medical school applications, I asked for a copy of my record. On the case resolution form, it mentions that I thought my drink was spiked, but the university never looked into it. I guess I never reported it because I was so scared about the entire situation. I never even realized that I was the victim of a crime.

About the false information - I said I didn't have my ID on me, when I actually did. I think I gave a fake name as well. I feel terrible about this, and it still bothers me 4 years later. I would NEVER have done this had I not been intoxicated. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing that worries me in this whole story is that appears that you have not yet submitted your AMCAS application. Other than being at least a month late to that party, there is nothing that concerns me about your application. You were feeling woozy at a party, suspected that something had been added to your drink without your knowledge, were stopped by campus police, [here insert whatever is in your case resolution form] and received a deferred suspension and have since then have not had any other incident.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were you, I would just say you were drinking, perhaps adcoms would appreciate honesty (in this case dishonesty) more than something that sounds like an excuse. I don't know though. Sucky situation, I hope it doesn't hold you back you are a stellar candidate.

The only thing that worries me in this whole story is that appears that you have not yet submitted your AMCAS application. Other than being at least a month late to that party, there is nothing that concerns me about your application. You were feeling woozy at a party, suspected that something had been added to your drink without your knowledge, were stopped by campus police, [here insert whatever is in your case resolution form] and received a deferred suspension and have since then have not had any other incident.

Thank you so much for your advice. I was planning on submitting my application in June (I have been working on it since the spring semester), but unfortunately, I came down with a bacterial infection that knocked me out for 3 weeks. This is the last thing I needed for my application, and I will be submitting today. I hope it doesn't count against me too much.

If I were you, I would just say you were drinking, perhaps adcoms would appreciate honesty (in this case dishonesty) more than something that sounds like an excuse. I don't know though. Sucky situation, I hope it doesn't hold you back you are a stellar candidate.

I feel the same way. In my explanation, I included that "I realized that my drink, which was supposed to be non-alcoholic, must have contained alcohol. As a freshman with no prior experience with alcohol, I did not know how to handle this situation."

Thanks for your advice!