Successful IA Applicants (Institutional Action)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

windows12

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This post may serve myself and others wanting to read SUCCESS stories of med school applicants with undergraduate institutional actions (academic and non-academic).

If you have been the recipient of an undergraduate IA and matriculated into medical school, please share your story below using this template:

What is your IA for? (You may provide context):


What Year in undergrad did it happen or how long it has been?:

Any relevant info you’d like to share?:

Disclaimer: I am not condoning IAs. This is simply to show IAs, depending on the severity, are not lethal.
 
This post may serve myself and others wanting to read SUCCESS stories of med school applicants with undergraduate institutional actions (academic and non-academic).

If you have been the recipient of an undergraduate IA and matriculated into medical school, please share your story below using this template:

What is your IA for? (You may provide context):


What Year in undergrad did it happen or how long it has been?:

Any relevant info you’d like to share?:

Disclaimer: I am not condoning IAs. This is simply to show IAs, depending on the severity, are not lethal.
Yo I got an IA in 2021 in my sophomore year for cheating on a lab homework assignment. I got accepted this cycle and had a total of 8 MD interviews, including a T20. I also have really average stats too so many schools really do give second chances.

Also want to say that some schools I applied to just auto sent me a rejection after my secondary(before I had seen anyone else get a rejection on admit.org) or some even rejected me pre-secondary too so I think there is a lot of variance in how this is treated based on the med school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not an undergrad IA - flunked out of PhD (required to withdraw, academic failure) in 2011.

Transferred NSF back to undergrad school and completed math PhD. 10 years of work experience (FAANG senior software eng) and 20 pubs later, retired and changed careers.

Post-reinvention (~60 cr at 3.98) 3.50c/3.18sGPA, 521 (132/129/130/130)

6 MD II (2 R, 2 A, 2 W - accepted to top choice) in 2025.

No obvious insta-rejects. At interview stage (broad mix T50 and above, clearly determined by mission fit), nobody even asked about a 14-year old blip.
 
Yo I got an IA in 2021 in my sophomore year for cheating on a lab homework assignment. I got accepted this cycle and had a total of 8 MD interviews, including a T20. I also have really average stats too so many schools really do give second chances.

Also want to say that some schools I applied to just auto sent me a rejection after my secondary(before I had seen anyone else get a rejection on admit.org) or some even rejected me pre-secondary too so I think there is a lot of variance in how this is treated based on the med school.
Congrats MD!!! Future doctor! Did you only mention the IA in the 500 words space? Did you do anything to remedy the IA (join your university student conduct committee)?
 
Congrats MD!!! Future doctor! Did you only mention the IA in the 500 words space? Did you do anything to remedy the IA (join your university student conduct committee)?
Thanks! No I didn't do anything specific just had a couple years worth of time between the incident and applying. And yes I only mentioned it in the small space on the application.
 
Thanks! No I didn't do anything specific just had a couple years worth of time between the incident and applying. And yes I only mentioned it in the small space on the application.
Since it happened your 2nd year, 2 years to finish undergrad and then a gap year(s)?
 
Had two IAs in the span of 3 months my freshman year - one was alcohol related (I didn’t have anything myself but I was underage and in the presence so we all got written up) and one was cheating related (worked with someone on a HW assignment that was meant to be individual).

This was back in 2017-2018. I applied for c/o 2025, and 2026 and ultimately did not get in. This past cycle, I received multiple MD and DO II, ultimately ending with 5 MD As and 4 DO As. Also got WL at a T20. Both of these incidents were expunged in some form, which helped a lot.

I put a lot of space between myself and those incidents, establishing a separate career for a few years. I like to thing I demonstrated growth and maturity in what I hope was a meaningful way.

I had to disclose where necessary on the secondaries of course, but I do think the change to the AMCAS rules, which allowed me to omit both of these on the primary, did help as well. I had to disclose one of the IAs on the AACOMAS, and both on TMDSAS. Did not receive any love from Texas schools (I’m also OOS, which didn’t help either lol) but these didn’t seem to hinder me as much on the other two application systems.