Institutional action question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivegotiaprobsbro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a concern about institutional action that I would like some opinions on.

For context, I graduated a few years ago from a large, private, religious university. Freshman year at this school I had a girlfriend who I was intimate with which is against the school's honor policy. I came forward with my actions (due to my roommates threatening to tell on me), but I got suspended for a semester and was forced to withdrawal from all of my classes. This was in 2012

The school gave me a list of spiritual/religious requirements to regain entry to the school and I completed all of them. After getting back in, I received stellar grades, had great volunteer experience, got a private undergraduate research grant, and was an organic chemistry TA among many other things. I am now a graduate of this university. I also received an MCAT score of 521. GPA 3.66

My questions are
1.) Is this something that I should report to AMCAS if it was religious problem and if it does not show up on my transcript?
2.) If I do report this on my AMCAS will it completely screw me over with medical schools if It was ~6 years ago and I have had no problems since

Any helpful advice is appreciated. Thank you guys and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It was an institutional action and a severe one in terms of consequences. AMCAS rules require you to report it and it would be both foolish and dishonest not to.

Will it hurt you? Ad Com members are unlikely to judge you for being intimate with your girlfriend. What they may question (and which you should be prepared to respond to) is why you selected this university if their policies went against your values, or conversely, why you acted the way you did if your values corresponded to the school's code of conduct.

Keep your explanation short and factual and non-judgemental.

Reactions: 1 user
If I explain it as a lapse of judgement? I was was 18 and hormonal, I have a family now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
*God please help me refrain from ranting about the damage that religion has caused to this world*

Ok, so now that is out of the way, I can say that you'll most likely be fine. I bet only Loma Linda and/or Creighton will care.

Don't worry. First of all, your roommates were probably just jealous cause you could get a girl and they couldn't. Second of all, make better choices next time (by that I'm not talking about your naughtiness, I'm talking about the choice you make about which school you go to).

All IA's must be reported: "Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional
action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted or expunged from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition."
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

You will not be harmed by this one at all.
It may even help.

Reactions: 1 users