Institutional Action Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needmuchohelpporfavor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to.

Background: my sophomore year, some friends and I went onto the roof of a friend's dorm. The "roof" was a balcony in the past, but now was accessible through windows. The ledge surrounding it was probably 3 feet high. So it was no more unsafe than one of the many bridges on campus. We were hanging out, there may have been some alcohol but it was not rowdy or anything. While I knew this probably wasn't condoned, I was not aware of strict rules against it, as I had seen people on the "balcony" in the past. An RA walked by and saw people up there, called campus police, who wrote us up. From this incident (no previous violations), I was put on residence hall probation for the rest of the semester (one more wrongdoing and I would be kicked out of housing), had to pay $50 fine, and had to write an essay about people falling off roofs.

It feels like I might have to disclose this in primary and secondary, but my school's policy is listed that they will "report an “institutional action” to your medical/dental/vet school if you have been suspended in the past or are on probation when you apply. Otherwise the college does not report community standards board infractions and destroys records right after Commencement. Medical/ dental/vet schools also perform background checks, social media checks, etc. You should always be honest in your applications. If a medical/dental/vet school finds out about an incident that you didn’t disclose, they will likely reject you or rescind an acceptance."

Does this mean I shouldn't disclose because it won't be reported? How bad will this hurt me? Later looked in college handbook and saw that this was off limits, but legitimately wasn't aware it was an issue at the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to.

Background: my sophomore year, some friends and I went onto the roof of a friend's dorm. The "roof" was a balcony in the past, but now was accessible through windows. The ledge surrounding it was probably 3 feet high. So it was no more unsafe than one of the many bridges on campus. We were hanging out, there may have been some alcohol but it was not rowdy or anything. While I knew this probably wasn't condoned, I was not aware of strict rules against it, as I had seen people on the "balcony" in the past. An RA walked by and saw people up there, called campus police, who wrote us up. From this incident (no previous violations), I was put on residence hall probation for the rest of the semester (one more wrongdoing and I would be kicked out of housing), had to pay $50 fine, and had to write an essay about people falling off roofs.

It feels like I might have to disclose this in primary and secondary, but my school's policy is listed that they will "report an “institutional action” to your medical/dental/vet school if you have been suspended in the past or are on probation when you apply. Otherwise the college does not report community standards board infractions and destroys records right after Commencement. Medical/ dental/vet schools also perform background checks, social media checks, etc. You should always be honest in your applications. If a medical/dental/vet school finds out about an incident that you didn’t disclose, they will likely reject you or rescind an acceptance."

Does this mean I shouldn't disclose because it won't be reported? How bad will this hurt me? Later looked in college handbook and saw that this was off limits, but legitimately wasn't aware it was an issue at the time.
Institutional Action:
"Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

If you answer Yes, you may use the space provided to explain; this space is 1325 characters or approximately one-quarter of a page in length.

If you are not certain whether or not you have been the subject of an institutional action, contact the registrar, student affairs officer, or other appropriate party at the institution for confirmation of your record.

Failure to provide accurate information in answering this question or, if applicable, in completing the form provided by the school, will result in an investigation.

Medical schools require you to answer this question accurately and provide all relevant information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure will enable the medical schools to more effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.

Applicants who become the subject of an institutional action after certifying and submitting the AMCAS application must inform their designated Medical school(s) within ten (10) business days of the date of the occurrence."

Institutional Action:
"Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

If you answer Yes, you may use the space provided to explain; this space is 1325 characters or approximately one-quarter of a page in length.

If you are not certain whether or not you have been the subject of an institutional action, contact the registrar, student affairs officer, or other appropriate party at the institution for confirmation of your record.

Failure to provide accurate information in answering this question or, if applicable, in completing the form provided by the school, will result in an investigation.

Medical schools require you to answer this question accurately and provide all relevant information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure will enable the medical schools to more effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.

Applicants who become the subject of an institutional action after certifying and submitting the AMCAS application must inform their designated Medical school(s) within ten (10) business days of the date of the occurrence."

I tried contacting the Associate Dean of Students and Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards to find out if this was considered institutional action but never heard anything back...

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried contacting the Associate Dean of Students and Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards to find out if this was considered institutional action but never heard anything back...
Try again.

Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly the type of ******* thing I would have done at your age, so you'd get no hurt me.

Institutional Action:
"Institutional Action

Reactions: 5 users
Try again.

Sorry to keep bugging y'all. Received a response: "As far as disciplinary records go, we do not maintain a record for the matter you forwarded after you received your degree. No disciplinary record or institutional action is on a record."

Is there really be a point to writing what happened, if there is no way to verify it either way?

Sorry to keep bugging y'all. Received a response: "As far as disciplinary records go, we do not maintain a record for the matter you forwarded after you received your degree. No disciplinary record or institutional action is on a record."

Is there really be a point to writing what happened, if there is no way to verify it either way?
It was not an institutional action. That is the key.

Reactions: 1 users
It was not an institutional action. That is the key.

I'm confused. If it was not an institutional action, who pocketed the $50 the student was required to pay? Wasn't it an institutional action related to a conduct violation? The policy says it doesn't matter if the school no longer has a record of it (on the transcript which is where records of a student's attendance are recorded).

Can you clarify?

I'm confused. If it was not an institutional action, who pocketed the $50 the student was required to pay? Wasn't it an institutional action related to a conduct violation? The policy says it doesn't matter if the school no longer has a record of it (on the transcript which is where records of a student's attendance are recorded).

Can you clarify?

I agree that the description sounds exactly like an institutional action.
OP says he contacted the schools and they told him he had no IA.
If he had an IA and they deleted it from his transcript he would still need to report it.

Can you clarify?

Now I'm not sure, since the school didn't really give me a clear answer about whether it was institutional action in the past. I don't know if it was ever on my record to begin with, because they are being unclear.

To be honest, I never paid. All students involved (maybe 6-7) were charged $50 for the screen in the window, which was not even damaged to begin with. I appealed this citing that I wasn't sure what the money was actually for, and they removed this part of the reparation. The check would have been payable to the college.

Now I'm not sure, since the school didn't really give me a clear answer about whether it was institutional action in the past. I don't know if it was ever on my record to begin with, because they are being unclear.

To be honest, I never paid. All students involved (maybe 6-7) were charged $50 for the screen in the window, which was not even damaged to begin with. I appealed this citing that I wasn't sure what the money was actually for, and they removed this part of the reparation. The check would have been payable to the college.
You absolutely need a clear answer, because this has all the hallmarks of a conduct IA.
If they tell you it was not an IA, you don't have to report it.

I would definitely not write about it. Seems like you might still be guilty and felt like it was worse than what they had made it out to be.

So I'd need them to (a) Acknowledge that the now destroyed and deleted incident actually happened, and then (b) Confirm that it was once an IA?

So I'd need them to (a) Acknowledge that the now destroyed and deleted incident actually happened, and then (b) Confirm that it was once an IA?
You need to know that it was not an IA so that you don't have to report it.
It has all the earmarks of an IA. You need to have their attestation that one did not occur.

I think I will include it--hopefully it does not hurt me too much.

I will try to frame it as factually as possible, and hopefully they will see that it was a little bit of immaturity combined with a little bit of unnecessary punishment. I hope they appreciate my honesty.

Thank you all!