Institutional action really that serious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhubbs89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read many threads on the topic but I just wanted advice and opinions for my specific situation. I am currently a sophomore in college.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Freshman year? You're most likely fine. I had one for booze and that was sophomore year. I just wrote what happened and how I learned from it.

You have to take ownership of this, because it was YOUR responsibility to do something about the MJ.

Look, a lot of us were young and stupid once, but what will be lethal to your app is the attitude you're displaying here.

Do I not mention I was holding it for a friend? I know it sounds so cliche, but I am telling the truth. I don't want adcoms thinking it was mine if i don't bring up my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be at a hella conservative/strict school if a grinder with no pot, as a first offense and which you voluntarily turned over, gets you academic probation and an IA. Unless you were given warnings previously for alcohol/noise/etc?

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, first offense. Supposedly we are a "Dry" campus, but are they ever really?
Hah they are not, though severity of consequences varies a lot, and if they're technically dry I'm guessing I was right about the conservative or religious school part ;)

As you've probably already read in other threads, this kind of IA is reportedly not an app killer as long as you don't have any more issues in the next few years.

I'm going to reemphasize the point that has already been said: the IA for possessing a grinder won't be lethal, but blaming it on your friend will be. Not taking responsibility for your actions is a sign of immaturity that Adcoms don't want to see.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to butt in, but is it enough to just say something along the lines of "I was written up my freshman year for ------. This did not happen again throughout my time in college. As a first year student, I was still learning to navigate the social scene in college, and while this did not affect my studies, I should have been more responsible with how I spent my time. This experience taught me to be more aware in social situations."
Is it okay to leave out the super long description, and just give a basic 3-4 sentences without excuses? A similar thing happened to me with alcohol my freshman year (the adjacent room was having a party and pretty much everyone on my hall was written up), except there were no real consequences for me apart from a verbal warning (which is still noted on my record, I do believe). I feel like it is hard to know how to write up these situations because it sounds a little over the top to go on about regretting being around alcohol as a freshman in college, especially when 4+ years have gone by, but you also don't want to sound like you are not accepting responsibility. What is the ideal way to write about these sort of IAs?

Sounds fine.

Sorry to butt in, but is it enough to just say something along the lines of "I was written up my freshman year for ------. This did not happen again throughout my time in college. As a first year student, I was still learning to navigate the social scene in college, and while this did not affect my studies, I should have been more responsible with how I spent my time. This experience taught me to be more aware in social situations."
Is it okay to leave out the super long description, and just give a basic 3-4 sentences without excuses? A similar thing happened to me with alcohol my freshman year (the adjacent room was having a party and pretty much everyone on my hall was written up), except there were no real consequences for me apart from a verbal warning (which is still noted on my record, I do believe). I feel like it is hard to know how to write up these situations because it sounds a little over the top to go on about regretting being around alcohol as a freshman in college, especially when 4+ years have gone by, but you also don't want to sound like you are not accepting responsibility. What is the ideal way to write about these sort of IAs?