Institutional action should I check yes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dinos124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've read several IA threads and am starting to freak out about my application and whether or not I should check yes for IA and so far it seems that for IA everything is in the context of the situation. I would really appreciate any advice you have for me, especially if my chances are now slim.....

Fall semester,junior year, my evolution class had an attendance requirement which included answering one questions on the board and turning in a half sheet of paper with your name on it. Several people would answer these together and turn in only one sheet. One day my friend (who wasn't in class) asked me to put her name down on my sheet for the attendance. I didn't think about it at the moment and now wish I had, but I put her name down and turned it in. The professor later found out that my friend wasn't in class that day, and turned her in as an honor code violation, which then resulted in me turning myself in for filling the attendance sheet out for her. The honor code committee was very understanding and our professor even came and spoke on our behalf. Although we were both sanctioned as lying/cheating, we were both only put on social probation for the semester. We were told that our honor code violation would no longer show up on our academic record after our probation period was over. I know that my IA won't be disclosed on my transcript but I am not sure if I should still check yes on the aamc's app....and if I do check yes, what should I include in my application to make my chances better? I've never cheated before in my life and was super embarrassed and ashamed about the whole situation, I really don't want this to reflect on my character especially since it was just an attendance thing and not like a cheated on an exam. I'm really worried about this, did I kill my chances of getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

It's tricky. Going by the rules, I think you have to click yes. AMCAS asks for all IAs, even if an institutional policy gets the incident off your record - sounds like the probation is just the type of institutional policy that AMCAS is talking about. I was under the impression that the only time you came up against the honor code council and you didn't have to check "yes" for IA was if you were found not guilty.

That said, it is your judgement call. Cheating of any sort is a red flag that may hurt your chances...the last thing you should say is that it wasn't as big of a deal because it was attendance and not for a grade. It isn't up to you to qualify which offences are worse than others. If you don't disclose this incident and a school inquires in a way that uncovers the probation etc then you will be kicked out of medical school. If this comes to light in any way after you have completed medical school then your MD can be taken away.

My advice is to talk to a guidance counselor of some sort at your school about your specific situation. Maybe your dean? Ombudsperson? Honor code council itself?

If you choose to disclose the incident, you may be well served to ask your professor for a recommendation and ask them to talk about this incident on your behalf.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like no action was taken since there was a probationary period, and it was subsequently taken off your record. It was more of a warning than anything. Had you gotten in trouble during the period, then yes, it would have become an IA.

An ADCOM should help clarify, but this is my take on it.

It sounds like no action was taken since there was a probationary period, and it was subsequently taken off your record. It was more of a warning than anything. Had you gotten in trouble during the period, then yes, it would have become an IA.

An ADCOM should help clarify, but this is my take on it.

i usually agree with your posts but defiantly seems like an IA. it wasn't handled by the dorms or something but it was sent to the honor's council and OP got probation. Seems pretty serious

i usually agree with your posts but defiantly seems like an IA. it wasn't handled by the dorms or something but it was sent to the honor's council and OP got probation. Seems pretty serious

There was a recent multipage thread where the OP was asking whether or not to disclose an IA that was expunged. Later on, when the OP disclosed the details, it came out to something similar to this. It ws probationary in nature. I remember @LizzyM saying that it was more like a warning, and then it would become an official IA had the OP done something bad in the meantime. I don't remember what it was exactly, but it was something along these lines. Hence my response, of course I could be wrong though! I'm curious to see what ADCOMs have to say about this.

So I've read several IA threads and am starting to freak out about my application and whether or not I should check yes for IA and so far it seems that for IA everything is in the context of the situation. I would really appreciate any advice you have for me, especially if my chances are now slim.....

Fall semester,junior year, my evolution class had an attendance requirement which included answering one questions on the board and turning in a half sheet of paper with your name on it. Several people would answer these together and turn in only one sheet. One day my friend (who wasn't in class) asked me to put her name down on my sheet for the attendance. I didn't think about it at the moment and now wish I had, but I put her name down and turned it in. The professor later found out that my friend wasn't in class that day, and turned her in as an honor code violation, which then resulted in me turning myself in for filling the attendance sheet out for her. The honor code committee was very understanding and our professor even came and spoke on our behalf. Although we were both sanctioned as lying/cheating, we were both only put on social probation for the semester. We were told that our honor code violation would no longer show up on our academic record after our probation period was over. I know that my IA won't be disclosed on my transcript but I am not sure if I should still check yes on the aamc's app....and if I do check yes, what should I include in my application to make my chances better? I've never cheated before in my life and was super embarrassed and ashamed about the whole situation, I really don't want this to reflect on my character especially since it was just an attendance thing and not like a cheated on an exam. I'm really worried about this, did I kill my chances of getting into med school?

DO NOT CHECK YES. No need to punish yourself. If there is no record, then no need to check yes -- end of story.

When in doubt, check with your school. Email the office of student conduct (or the registrar or whoever the appropriate contact is) an exact quote of the AMCAS question and ask how you should respond. Do whatever they say, and keep that email. AMCAS itself says to check with your school if you don't know how to answer.

IIRC, this is covered on page 37 of the AMCAS instruction book. Review and follow the instructions. If it is not there it might be on page 51.