Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osono

Reaction score
Hello,

During my freshman year of college I received an "alleged" violation of academic integrity. I knew I didn't cheat so I appealed and the Office of Academic Integrity reviewed my case finding me not guilty. The punishment was a warning if you were to be found guilty. I'm seeing a lot of different answers to this question so I'm posting my specific story. I'll try calling my university and looking if there's an IA on my conduct record- but wouldn't it just be that I was accused and found not guilty, or simply nothing at all? What would I even write on my application, "I was accused but did not cheat so I appealed and was found not guilty"? Would this even hurt me at all?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

During my freshman year of college I received an "alleged" violation of academic integrity. I knew I didn't cheat so I appealed and the Office of Academic Integrity reviewed my case finding me not guilty. The punishment was a warning if you were to be found guilty. I'm seeing a lot of different answers to this question so I'm posting my specific story. I'll try calling my university and looking if there's an IA on my conduct record- but wouldn't it just be that I was accused and found not guilty, or simply nothing at all? What would I even write on my application, "I was accused but did not cheat so I appealed and was found not guilty"? Would this even hurt me at all?

Thanks in advance!

I would find out if there was an actual Institutional Action. If you can’t find out for sure, it’s much better to be safe than sorry. You shouldn’t have any issues at all by just giving a brief explanation in the box provided on both the primary and secondaries.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you never received a sanction from your institution's student conduct office, then there is no institutional action. Confirm with your student conduct office/dean or academic integrity office.

Reactions: 5 users
"the Office of Academic Integrity reviewed my case finding me not guilty. The punishment was a warning if you were to be found guilty."

They found you not guilty. The warning is not a punishment. It's just letting you know that you would be punished IF you were found guilty.

But you might want to make sure by contacting the school. This is just for reassurance.

Reactions: 3 users