Institutional Affiliation on Publication

Started by blondemed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blondemed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm doing year out research between my 3rd/4th year of medical school and recently had a review accepted for publication. I'm first author, followed by my research preceptor, however when we submitted the manuscript my affiliation was listed as his - the department of medicine from our institution. I don't know if this is technically correct since I'm associated with the medical school. I don't have an MD after my name so wouldn't it be odd to be first author without distinction of status (med student). I'd appreciate input so I can make changes if necessary.
 
If you did the research at the same institution as your PI, just list them both the same (his). Don't worry about being a student at the same time. Journals care more that there is someone with a MD or DO on the byline, but it doesn't have to necessarily be the 1st author.