SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Insurance Reimbursement as an intern/supervisee

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by BSWdavid, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. BSWdavid

    BSWdavid 2+ Year Member

    Jan 10, 2009
    I am confused about an issue and hoping to get some feedback. Can a licensed clinical social worker, psychologist, licensed counselor, etc. bill private insurance for the services provided by a supervisee, or can they only bill for services that they have directly provided? I have received mixed feedback on this issue and would like some clarification. What also confuses me is that physicians tend to bill for services they don't directly provide (i.e., seeing the medical assistant for a blood pressure check). This is all quite confusing as I am completing my MSW and looking for employment.

    Any help would be most appreciated.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. aequitasveritas

    aequitasveritas PhD 7+ Year Member

    Mar 29, 2008
    In California, psychologists can bill for services rendered by their licensed psychological assistants.

    In clinics unfortunately they often bill for intern services, which is major fraud in my opinion, since most of the time interns are not paid or minimally stipended.
  4. BSWdavid

    BSWdavid 2+ Year Member

    Jan 10, 2009
    What about an unlicensed therapist who is a paid employee working towards licensure?
  5. psycscientist

    psycscientist 5+ Year Member

    Feb 1, 2011
    In my experience, unlicensed folks can't bill insurance, regardless of being in training and under supervision.
  6. stigmata

    stigmata 2+ Year Member

    Apr 30, 2010
    cheyenne, wyoming
    I assume you mean for therapy? It varies a lot by insurance provider, state and type of business. Some places like CMHCs can bill medicaid for interns etc... as part of a contractual arrangement. Generally in a private or non-profit setting billing commercial 3rd party insurances for the work of an intern or unlicensed person is fraudulent.

Share This Page