Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between HPSO and Pharmacist's Mutual. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. HPSO seems a little more comprehensive and the prices are roughly the same.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always used HSPO, and fortunately have never needed to submit for a claim. I appreciate their low price, their newsletters, their easy on-line renewal, so I've had no problem on that end. I'm not familiar with Pharmacist Mutual, so I can't comment on them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacist mutual doesn't cover IV compound now without paying an additional $160 fee. I switched to HCPO for this reason.
same here - I want to support Pharmacist Mutual, a small town company founded just for pharmacists, but that increase in price is hard to swallow with other options out there - I just cancelled my pharmacist mutual plan yesterday

I would NOT recommend going through HPSO. I have used them for the past couple years and attempted to add on coverage to my policy a few weeks ago - let me tell you this was an absolute nightmare. I was trying to add a very specific type of coverage (self-employed part-time consultant coverage for speaking engagements I do outside of my hospital which covers my primary duties) and was told entirely incorrect information from multiple representatives. The services they were recommending would definitely NOT provide coverage heaven forbid there was ever an event relating to consulting. I ended up taking to a "supervisor" who told me as long as I was consulting less than 120 hours per year it was covered under my current plan. When I asked for a written copy stating this agreement she simply she's "been there years and has seen it done" and they don't provide it in writing because they "don't want to advertise it". As far as I concerned, if it's not in writing, it means nothing when it comes to covering a claim... :wtf:

Thankfully, I have never submitted a claim, but based on my recent experience I would have serious concerns as to their ability to correctly handle a one. Needless to say, I canceled my policy that day and switched to Marsh. Bottom line, know exactly what type of coverage you need and read the policies.

I go through HPSO. I wonder if there are any pharmacists that practice without insurance? The costs are so low for it that I can't imagine it to be the case. Then again since it is so cheap I wonder how well it really will work or how many pharmacists even submit a claim in a year.

I think most pharmacists do not have it. My sup says we are covered under the company insurance but I choose to have my own plan. Probably won't ever matter but who knows? It's cheap enough not to deliberate about it too much one way or another.

What liability can you possibly have for a speaking engagement?

There's a reason pharmacist liability insurance is cheap while OB/GYN physicians have some of the highest rates.

I dont have it. Probably bad decision.

I dont have it. Probably bad decision.

Not necessarily. We're you the one with a lot of assets? Then maybe...I don't know how your assets or umbrella policies are structured.