insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vt hokie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had cancer a few years ago and i am very concerned about finding affordable life insurance as well as health insurance that will cover my preexisting condition. vcom requires students to have both, but they don't have a student plans available. does anyone know of any life insurance company that does not review your medical records or require a physical? or an affordable health plan?

Members don't see this ad.

i had cancer a few years ago and i am very concerned about finding affordable life insurance as well as health insurance that will cover my preexisting condition. vcom requires students to have both, but they don't have a student plans available. does anyone know of any life insurance company that does not review your medical records or require a physical? or an affordable health plan?

A group plan would be your best chance. Did you have a full recovery? Many times a full recovery will make you eligible for insurance without problems.

Your acceptance and rates will depend on what type of cancer and how long you have been in remission. I had thyroid cancer, which is a fairly curable cancer, had treatment nearly 10 years ago, and have not had any recurrances. I got private insurance with no increased rates thru BCBS, however they did require a statement from my oncologist saying that my cancer has been in remission for greater than 5 years. They did, however, add an exclusion for any thyroid cancer related treatment, which sucked. I ended up just getting insurance thru my husband, and now on COBRA for as long as we can possibly stay on it!

Can you get a job for the next few months before starting med school to get benefits, then when you quit, get on COBRA. That is expensive, but has group benefits, so you wouldn't have an exclusion for any cancer treatment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had colon cancer, and did not need chemo or radiation. but since it was caused by a genetic deletion that predisposes me to polyps, I have to have annual exams. I have not had any polyps since my surgery, but I don't think that matters. The magical 5 year mark is not until Oct of this year, and I will have to show proof of coverage before that. I have checked out a few policies online, but I they don't provide rates this far in advance and don't mention how preexisting conditions affect the rates/coverage offered. i just thought there would be others in my situation that might be of help. thanks for your replies.

Get the SOMA health insurance. VCOM should have or will send a packet about the different insurance companies and SOMA is one of them. I have SOMA and it is a really good plan. As far as life insurance I got a $25,000 plan by looking up life insurance on the internet and I got my policy without any health questions. I think you only have to answer those questions when the policy is really large.

I was under the impression the SOMA plan required you to pay upfront, and the submit claims. That makes me really nervous. I've also heard bad things about most claims being denied.

That is what I thought when I 1st looked at the plan to but I called to get more details before purchasing it. You do not have to give a down payment or pay upfront. You can, if you want, pay each month or in advance they give you the option. I have only been to the doctor once since I got it and I have not had any problems. Plus you do not have to submit claims the doctors office will do that. I do get monthly prescriptions and I have never had a problem with getting them filled. I recommend that you call SOMA insurance and get all the information for yourself.

sorry, what I meant was that don't you have to pay the doctor's fees upront, and then file a claim to get reimbursed? Not the premiums. That's where I get nervous. They can make up anything they want to deny your claim, and then the money is just gone.

No I have not heard of that happening. Your doctor will bill the insurance just like they would with any other insurance. You will of course have to pay your copay. Plus you will have to meet you deductible 1st but that is standard with any plan. Which with SOMA, at least the plan I have, is only $250.