What to do when school doesn’t offer health insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yasuo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do? Go through the marketplace? Look for private options?

It just sucks that some schools don’t have an included option for students while some do.

Members don't see this ad.

what school? I guess you would go through the marketplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM-GA specifically

You can buy on the private market, or you can join an aca compliant religious cost share

Thanks for making this thread I was wondering the same thing, about the same school...(PCOM-GA)

The only solution I could think of at the time when they mentioned that there isn't a school option was to get it through the marketplace.

Here's a link to some information
Health Care Coverage Options for College Students

I spoke to someone from the school today. They said options are:

1. Spouse/parent’s insurance
2. Marketplace
3. Private

And I guess Medicaid but I know nothing about that. I guess private is what I’d look towards after I have to get off my parents insurance.

School does offer health insurance for around $5500/year but is it possible to get a cheaper one from somewhere. I'm getting off of my parents insurance after couple months once school starts.
Thanks for the feedback.

Why would a school not offer health insurance? DOes PCOM - PA offer health insurance, while PCOM - GA does not??

I've met a few rotating Osteopathic students who just signed up for the state health insurance. Not sure if this is an option in every state???

Why would a school not offer health insurance? DOes PCOM - PA offer health insurance, while PCOM - GA does not??

I've met a few rotating Osteopathic students who just signed up for the state health insurance. Not sure if this is an option in every state???

Because it's typically pretty expensive and not offering insurance is one way to keep tuition costs lower. Although that certainly doesn't stop some schools from charging exorbitant tuition rates.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious: Can medical students apply for Medicaid?

Most med students I know that are not on their parents insurance still are on Medicaid (in Arizona and Washington DC). I would recommend calling early getting an idea for what you would need to do. Usually you have to apply through the Marketplace first, and if you are eligible for medicaid then they send your Marketplace application to the state Medicaid for them to process it. Also it's good to know that you only have 60 days after moving to apply for the Marketplace. Otherwise you have to wait until the next enrollment period in the winter I think (Get Marketplace health coverage outside Open Enrollment only with a Special Enrollment Period)

If you are in a bind and need insurance quickly, you can always by private insurance not through the marketplace and keep that for a short period until you get medicaid set up.

It's a hassle haha, but I had to go through it with moving to med school, so I'm glad to help out.