Integrated theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funkymonkey99

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on how to integrate theory with clinical application? So far I've been studying each topic e.g. cariology, periodontics, tooth cons. as separate subjects, how would I begin to make connections and tailor this knowledge for patient treatment (It just seems like a lot of info that I need to jumble around, especially after having treated every topic separately up till now)

Members don't see this ad.

With clinical application. Treat patients and you’ll learn how to make decisions. For example you have an endo involved tooth, do you initiate RCT? No, you have to determine restorability. Will the margin end on tooth structure? Does it need crown lengthening? Does it qualify for crown lengthening because it’s a molar with a high furcation?
These are examples of theories you learn and will put into clinical application.

This is an interesting question to me. I work with new dental residents and see them struggle with just this issue when they encounter “real world” problems. Our educational system no longer teaches our students with a goal of knowledge or wisdom. Our system only teaches data. I suppose they think computers have displaced knowledge and wisdom.

After my soapbox statement. --- Here is a framework to use when confronting dental problems.

• Start with the anatomy of the problem.
  • Mentally review how the physiology works with the problem.
  • Are there others systems coming into play on the problem?
  • What are the resources you have at your disposal? (Can you get more?)
  • Always factor in the human element.

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on how to integrate theory with clinical application? So far I've been studying each topic e.g. cariology, periodontics, tooth cons. as separate subjects, how would I begin to make connections and tailor this knowledge for patient treatment (It just seems like a lot of info that I need to jumble around, especially after having treated every topic separately up till now)

Hard to piece it all together until you start doing it. You can try to make connections during didactic years but the real learning comes in D3 and D4 where you are able to piece it all together.

Reactions: 1 user