Intention Tremor and Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immunity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all intents and purposes you could consider me an MS3 (see background below). I have a noticeable mild to moderate intention tremor that is pronounced enough to dispel any ambitions to pursue a heavily surgical specialty.

Question: Would this limitation preclude me from pursuing diagnostic radiology, given that 1) a good bit of dexterity is required for IR ; 2) an IR-component is part of the radiology residency experience? Note that I wouldn't be interested in doing IR later in my career.

Background:

- I'm an MD/PhD student nearing the end of my PhD research. During my current research project my tremor hasn't limited me much as I don't do anything that requires fine dexterity. During one of my previous research rotations I had to be moved off a mouse project because I was unable to cauterize the carotid arteries of neonatal mice without killing them.

-The curriculum of our program is such that only 16 months of MS3 and MS4 is required (and paid for). Given this timeline, I will be entering the clinics in January, so I am on a tighter schedule for honing in on a specialty. Point is that I need to schedule my rotations and electives with a field already in mind.

- I feel like I know myself well enough to say that I'm most suited for a heavily diagnostic field like radiology and pathology.

-Regardless of what specialty I pursue, I want to stay in academia where I can be involved in research in some form.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can hold the dictaphone steady enough to dictate, you will be fine. In many residencies, if you don't want to touch a catheter, they will gladly let you do scut instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bit of essential tremor as well. It comes and goes ... I've found that propranolol helps a lot ... and it seems as if sublingual B-12 reduced it as well...I'm currently trying to get into really, really good shape....want to stop drinking coffee (this is a tough one) and anything else that would exacerbate the tremors....

I guess my question is whether it is a problem pursuing a career in Medicine with essential tremor...I can't imagine someone would be thrilled when they see your hands shaking giving sutures...checking pupil dilation...whatever ...

Are there specialties/residencies where this is less of an issue?

I guess I could permanently get on some slow release propranolol but I'm not thrilled about that idea....

Thanks very much.

Sorry to post this in radiology but the thread was relevant...

:confused:

I have a bit of essential tremor as well. It comes and goes ... I've found that propranolol helps a lot ... and it seems as if sublingual B-12 reduced it as well...I'm currently trying to get into really, really good shape....want to stop drinking coffee (this is a tough one) and anything else that would exacerbate the tremors....

I guess my question is whether it is a problem pursuing a career in Medicine with essential tremor...I can't imagine someone would be thrilled when they see your hands shaking giving sutures...checking pupil dilation...whatever ...

Are there specialties/residencies where this is less of an issue?

I guess I could permanently get on some slow release propranolol but I'm not thrilled about that idea....

Thanks very much.

Sorry to post this in radiology but the thread was relevant...

:confused:

While there may be some specialties that you self-select to not pursue, medical school in and of itself shouldn't be a problem. I've got an incomplete spinal cord injury at C-7 that requires I use a wheelchair. I also have decreased manual dexterity because of the injury.

I'll be graduating in less than 10 months, and will hopefully be pursuing a residency in radiology afterward. My disability status is not nearly the obstacle I thought it would be.

I know a medicine resident with an essential tremor and he has done just fine. The comment about what would my patients think makes me think of what I like to tell patients when they have some condition that they don't like or that makes them feel embarrassed. I say something like: we all have something about us that we don't like, no one's perfect. If someone has a problem with your XXX condition, then that's their problem. But there's nothing wrong with you actually having it. People will just have to deal with it.

I think most people wouldn't care about a tremor in their physician, it's just who you are.

My old barber had a horrible intention tremor, and used a straight blade. Didn't bother me, because he never cut me or any of my friends. In fact, I thought it was kind of cool.

I have no idea what this actually has to do with the original question.